1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pitcher throws lefty and righty

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Write-brained, Apr 7, 2007.

1. Apologize in advance if it's D_B but I didn't see it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/06/sports/baseball/06pitcher.html?em&ex=1176091200&en=705e685d73eda3f5&ei=5087%0A

Neat story. Like the Abbott and Costello line:

A switch-pitcher facing a switch-hitter could make a fine Abbott and Costello routine. Against Nebraska last year, a switch-hitter came to the plate right-handed, prompting Venditte to switch to his right arm, which caused the batter to move to the left-hand batter’s box, with Venditte switching his arm again. Umpires ultimately restored order, applying the rule (the same as that in the majors) that a pitcher must declare which arm he will use before throwing his first pitch and cannot change before the at-bat ends.

“Eventually, after 10 or 15 minutes, they got it figured out,” Venditte said with a smile.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Huh. I always thought the batter had to establish what side of the plate he'll bat from, and the pitcher can adjust accordingly. Maybe I read about that happening once, despite the rule, or maybe it inspired this rule.

Interesting.

3. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Greg Harris used to be able to throw with either hand and I believe he tried it in a game (against a switch hitter), and the ump made Harris decide which hand he'd throw it with.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I think the hitter can switch until there are two strikes -- then he has to stay put. I don't know how I know that.

5. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Did he change gloves?

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I've heard that the pitchers that can throw from each side can have speciality gloves made. Or maybe he went Jim Abbot on it.

7. That's the way it is. Couldn't tell you the rule number — not that it matters — but up until two strikes you can switch every pitch if you wanted. Just makes me wonder why a girl I saw in a prep softball game last year tried to bunt twice from the left side, fouled two off, then was allowed to switch to righty and doubled to the gap.

8. Story mentions a custom-made glove.

9. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Really cool story. It'd be really interesting to see someone who could do it well enough to do both at the major league level.

10. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

As mentioned, it has been done - by Greg Harris.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_A._Harris

Also:
    Tony Mullane July 18, 1882 4th-9th innings
    Larry Corcoran June 16, 1884 four innings
    Elton Chamberlain May 9, 1888 8th & 9th inning
    Tony Mullane July 14, 1893 ninth inning
    Greg A. Harris September 28, 1995 ninth inning
    Mullane is said to have pitch with both hands periodically. The first and last dates are listed above. Other dates include: July 5, 1892.

(Source: baseball-fever.com)

11. Dignan11

Dignan11 Member

Harvard had a guy 10 years ago that did this. Obviously it takes a incredible amount of brain power.

12. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I played youth baseball with a guy who would pitch left-handed and play shortstop right-handed. He never bothered pitching right-handed, but the only time I saw him bat right-handed he hit a triple. He stuck to southpaw on the mound because his breaking ball was better, and, well, kids can't hit lefties.

Draft saved Draft deleted