1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I knew WNBA salaries were pitiful, but I didn't realize they were this bad

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ondeadline, Apr 3, 2007.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

When the WNBA ws trying to unionize a few years ago and talking strike, I remember Jim Rome saying "What would their demands be? If you don't pay us . . we'll play MORE games!"

As for salaries, I'l see your (NBA-supported) WNBA, and raise you an MLS.

Or lower you an MLS, as the case may be.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/mls/longterm/2006/mls.salaries.html

These are last year's salaries, but please note that the David Beckham Rule is only for a single player. The rest are still subject to the cap, including the - ahem - "Youth developmental players" who make 11 grand a year. MLS beat writers are in the unique position of making more money than the professional athletes they interview.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

What, women make less then men AGAIN?

3. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Yeah, Goestenkors wouldn't have left Duke if she was making as much as Krzyzewski.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

There's a WNBA player in this state who also coaches at a high school. She said that all things being equal -- so are the salaries.

5. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I'm doing a five-inch story on the local college player who could get drafted. If she does get picked up, I don't see it being any more than 10-15 inches, tops for Thursday.
    No one really cares.

6. KnuteRockne

KnuteRockne Member

Do you retire at age 26 or 27 like most of them probably do?

So that's not a fair comparison. It's like the people who gasp at stripper's take-home pay. That paycheck doesn't have a long shelf life.

Also - I don't think WNBA interest is wide enough to deserve coverage. But to dismiss it out of hand as "Nobody cares" is to forget about the rabid, rabid lesbian fan base. Don't snicker. We have a lesbian couple who are friends of ours. Guess which local pro team they have season tickets to?

7. boots

boots New Member

But there's no guarantee that you'll have a job in 20 years either.

8. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Active Member

And for some reason, ESPN is speculating that Candice Parker may leave early. For 90k? Yeah right.

9. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

As I said earlier, she might make more than that now.

But saying "nobody cares" about the NBA isn't that far off. Look at attendance. It's pathetic. The more they scale it down, the better. Do what leagues like AFL2 are doing. Cap the size of the arena. If people can't go to a game every night because there are 20k empty seats, there would be a higher demand to actually get in the building.
    What boots said is right -- although the 20-year thing might be even further off. There is a reason the high-level college coaches are making more than their WNBA counterparts, and there is a reason players don't actually leave early. There just isn't that much money in it. Which is why the league is essentially always one horrible move away from folding. Yes, its fine now.
    But in 5 years? Who knows?

10. I don't think those salaries are that bad considering they're working for about four or five months. Doesn't the season basically start in late spring and end before the summer's over?

The players obviously would need to take a second job during the rest of the year, but if it were me, I'd gladly take $30K to do something I love for a four-month period.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

1. It's Candace. She might be the best player in the country. At least get her name right. It's not hard. You're allegedly a journalist.

2. She won't be playing in the WNBA if she does leave this year. You have to be out of high school four years or have graduated to be drafted by the WNBA. Candace is only a redshirt sophomore.

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Couldn't she sue her way in? That college/four-year out of HS thing didn't stand up for the NBA. Not that 90K a year is worth suing over, mind you, but in theory.

Draft saved Draft deleted