1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TIME Is Run By Dolts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fenian_Bastard, Mar 28, 2007.

1. Consider -- the rest of the world gets to learn that we're losing in Afghanistan, but this country gets a lecture on how we should "incorporate" The Bible into our classrooms.
    http://www.time.com/time/magazine/europe/

Jesus wept.

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Wow, what is that all about? Wild stuff. Thanks for posting.

3. KnuteRockne

KnuteRockne Member

It was actually a very, very good story. And it's not like they've ignored Afghanistan - they had a takeout a few weeks ago on how the U.S. arrested a key Afghani intelligence source because of the "War on Drugs."

Have you read the Bible story?

It's really interesting. I know the war is important, but so is education.

4. I read the Bible story - wait, that doesn't sound right. I read the Bible story that was in TIME -- and I generally like Van Biema's stuff, but that simply isn't an important enough story to trump what TIME put on the cover for the rest of the world. And I think TIME softpedaled the Afghanistan cover here to duck the political fallout.

5. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

But for that week's cover "illustration," His tear was Photoshopped on.

6. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

Same issue had an article where the word "asshole" was used by the writer in text...not that I don't use the word probably six times a day or more, but I don't need to read it. So much for standards.

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

You act surprised, I'm not. Time has done this before. One cover for the American edition that doesn't have any of the wars on it, while all the other editions has something about Iraq or Afghanistan.
    Time caught hell for it before, they will this time and they still won't care.

8. KnuteRockne

KnuteRockne Member

If they didn't want to put it out there for political reasons, then why did they have two consecutive covers about the GOP's struggles - the Cheney cover and the Reagan cover?

9. crustacean

crustacean Member

Actually, Newsweek was lambasted for almost the same thing -- subbing an Afghanistan cover for an Annie Leibovitz life partner & child cover story.

10. Thanks, hard-shelled compadre.
    I knew there was another one out there.

11. Cadet

Cadet Guest

And I've railed before about Newsweek becoming Godweek with all its religion covers in the past two years.

Draft saved Draft deleted