1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MUSIC THREAD

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, May 4, 2006.

1. Oh crap. Here's a link. I'm Alive song sung live, not quite as good as I remember it but the vocals are great.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=2502130

2. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

I'm listening to Eminem right now. Stuff off of his first album.

And I now see how much of a shill he really has become. I remember when he first came out, people thought he was another Snow, Vanilla Ice etc. He refused to let people treat him like that. Now he's just another cliche to me.

3. danny_whitten

danny_whitten Member

Arcade Fire is an updated version of The Call. Not bad. It provides positive energy without being overbearing. That keeps it kind of mediocre.

4. Chef

Chef Active Member

OK: If you have seen the preview for "Reign Over Me", what is the Hootie and the Blowfish song that is playing?

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Check this: http://www.rhapsody.com/pearljam/lovereignoerme

And got my pre-order e-mail for Wilco's Sky Blue Sky. I'm turgid.

[​IMG]

6. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

The new Neil does sound great. Went to iTunes to check it out and also got some Court and Spark.

7. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

I downloaded the version they were streaming on the Web site. It's good...it's got kind of a laid back 1970s feel to it. Some great guitar work by Nels Cline. Not as experimental as "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" and "A Ghost is Born" or as lush as "Summerteeth".

8. Terd Ferguson

Terd Ferguson Member

Not that I'm surprised...
    but you weren't fuckin around with this one.
    Wow. Great stuff.

9. danny_whitten

danny_whitten Member

Interesting info on Arcade Fire (particularly on the song "Neon Bible") that was posted by Shari Wilson on the NYoung Rust message board:

"I find I'm currently alternating my listening between "Live at Massey Hall 1971"
    and Arcade Fire's recent release, "Neon Bible." Interestingly enough, these two
    releases currently occupy the top spots in the Canadian album charts.

""Neon Bible" is the follow-up release of Arcade Fire's enormously successful
    first release, "Funeral." Releasing the follow-up to such a successful first
    record is a tough act for any band, but I must say that I think "Neon Bible" is
    as good (if not even a bit better!) than "Funeral." It showcases their growth as
    a band. The sessions were recorded at "the church" in the province of Quebec --
    possibly St. James Anglican Church in Bedford, PQ, since that's mentioned
    elsewhere in the liner notes -- and there's a prominent organ prescense on a few
    of the songs which works very well.

"The first song that grabbed my attention was "Intervention." I found out
    yesterday through a co-worker that this was selected as their official singles
    release. Then I took notice of "Black Mirror." It has this magnetic pounding
    beat and depth and mass. Great opening number selection!

"Next I noticed (Antichrist Television Blues). Great lyrics along with a catchy
    melody. "Windowsills" is very moody and dark. Then the lyrics grabbed me with
    the next song, "My Body is a Cage" -- "My body is a cage / that keeps me from
    dancing / with the one I love, / but my mind holds the key." Haunting melody,
    too.

"The one song that I haven't quite warmed up to is the title track. "Neon Bible"
    is very subtle and I haven't quite cottoned on to it yet. "Neon Bible" was
    written by John Kenndy Toole. He's the same author who wrote the Pulitzer
    Prize-winning "A Confederacy of Dunces," which I'm sure many list members have
    enjoyed reading. (Including myself!) "Neon Bible" was actually written many
    years prior to "A Confederacy of Dunces," but published later. (There's a whole
    story about the author who committed suicide before he was aware of the
    publication of "A Confederacy of Dunces." His mother was the one who persevered
    and got it published.) Has anyone read "Neon Bible"? Here's a link about it on
    amazon if anyone is interested:

http://www.amazon.ca/Neon-Bible-John-Kennedy-Toole/dp/0802132073/ref=sr_1_1/701-\2730460-6777165?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1174795511&sr=1-1

10. D_W --
    Neon Bible is pretty run-of-the-mill Southern gothic, although you can see JKT working out the beginnings of some of the themes he played in Confederacy.

11. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

I got a copy of SBS, and I find it to be the most boring record they've done. It is so uninspired, I could vomit. Nels Cline is the worst thing to happen to this band. It's like Tweedy just says okay Nels play a long boring solo because you can.

I hope I can get into it, but I doubt it. Bring back Jay Bennett, he brought so much to the band.

12. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Maybe this is more of a random thought than a music question, but...

For those that still have a CD collection (or those that haven't uploaded everything onto an MP3 and junked the CDs) how do you store/sort the collection? Do you have it on a shelf alphabetical by artist/group or do you just have them up there at random?
    If you do keep them alphabetically (like I do) is there any letter of the alphabet you're missing? For instance in my collection X is the only letter that's missing. For the tougher letters I've got Queen for Q and Warren Zevon, the Zubia Brothers, and Mark Zubia as Zs.

Draft saved Draft deleted