1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Sweet 16 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Oz, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Chef

Chef Active Member

Oden has 4

2. Chef

Chef Active Member

Fouls

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Nice job of boxing out, UT.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Lifted from a Web site that can explain it better than me ...

http://www.ku.edu/about/traditions/chant.shtml

KU's world famous Rock Chalk Chant evolved from a cheer that a chemistry professor, E.H.S. Bailey, created for the KU science club in 1886. Bailey's version was "Rah, Rah, Jayhawk, KU" repeated three times. The rahs were later replaced by "Rock Chalk," a transposition of chalk rock, the name for the limestone outcropping found on Mount Oread, site of the Lawrence campus.

The cheer became known worldwide. Teddy Roosevelt pronounced it the greatest college chant he'd ever heard. Legend has it that troops used the chant when fighting in the Philippines in 1899, in the Boxer Rebellion in China, and in World War II. At the Olympic games in 1920, the King of Belgium asked for a typical American college yell. The assembled athletes agreed on KU's Rock Chalk and rendered it for His Majesty.

5. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

6. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

As a Memphis fan, I'm pulling for Tennessee. Not to see a rivalry game, but because I'd rather the Tigers face the hot-and-cold Vols than the Buckeyes.

Thanks for the Rock Chalk explanation and for being a good sport about my brutalization of both KU traditions and Shakespeare, Oz....

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

I can't believe OSU is winning this. And without Oden. That dude is the most overrated player in America.

8. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Damn. Tennessee plays in spurts. You never know.

9. Chef

Chef Active Member

UT by 3

10. Ryan Childress coming out of nowhere for the Vols.

He signed with Pearl at UW-M before Pearl left to Knoxville....he's no Major D-1 Player, but wow....

He won their UVA game...

11. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Verne has messed up even more names than usual tonight.

12. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Yeah, aside from Lofton, I like Wayne Chism(cool name) too.

Draft saved Draft deleted