1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beware, Trentonian offering jobs that don't exist

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Interim Bedwetter, Jan 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

C'mon he's made a huge impact already. I mean where else could a Trenton reader find out that Gary Matthews supports his son?

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Wasn't there still an abnormally high turnover of SEs under Schwartz?

3. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Certainly there was. It was bad, but Bonfield made it doubly bad.

Schwartz knew Jelenic was off his rocker and blew off a lot of his complaints and argued with him vehemently on others. Bonfield actually thought Jelenic had legitimate beefs with the sports department and didn't have the spine to ever tell Jelenic he was overreacting.

(This is chronicled quite accurately in "Tabloid From Hell"; note that the executive editor believed that the sports department was far stronger than news during his second tenure, but Jelenic only had complaints about the sports department.

If you want further proof of this, keep in mind that no one was fired for the "ROASTED NUTS" headline.)

Also, the sports editors during Schwartz's era were, on average, more talented and more accomplished than the SEs who followed (there are some notable exceptions). Some of them simply left for better opportunities.

The number of Trentonian employees (all editorial positions) hired under Schwartz who moved on to 250K+ circ papers is probably around 30.

The number of Trentonian employees hired after Schwartz departed (1998) who moved on to 250K+ papers is approximately 0 (I could be forgetting someone).

4. lapdog

lapdog Member

Abnormal for JRC? What'd he do, go through eight in three weeks?

If the accounts in "Tabloid from Hell" and other sources are accurate, at The Trentonian at least, the fiery 9:15 a.m. phone calls are often enough from The Man Himself.

Back to the current ASE listing:

1) Does this job exist? If so, who's getting fired to vacate it?

2) If it doesn't currently exist, how long do you think it will exist after Bracey gets launched (as noted by many, probably a matter of weeks) ??

Oh yeah, it's a real test of a sports section's mettle to see how they plug in wire stories. A real chance to knock one out of the park.

5. Aaron had a weekly "Media Guy" column at the Courier. Don't know if he wanted to do more, but he had his weekly page. Just my two cents. Carry on.

6. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Raffaele got calls as the editor, not the sports editor.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

then dismount and quit reading the thread jackass.

8. Lee son of Bob

Lee son of Bob New Member

My special daddy wanted me to let all of you know how happy his heart has become thanks to the love and support of new Journal Register Company visionary Aaron Bracy. On the unforgettable night of October 30 in the year 1943, Gus Bodnar scored a goal just 15 seconds into his first NHL game as his lovely, lovely Maple Leafs defeated the American-based Rangers 5-2. Now 64 years later Aaron is scoring a goal in my lovely daddy's oversized heart faster than any Journal Register Company newcomer ever has before.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Boots, you truly are a precious human being and my entire family wants to share with you our abundant love. Thank you, thank you for supporting my special daddy's newest friend, Aaron. Your brave support against the attacks from these JRC haters will provide Aaron with extra strength as he rapidly makes his way from JRC newcomer to my special daddy's right-hand man in world record time. Consider yourself an honorary Canadian, Boots.

My lovely daddy's Canadian-born skin has been glowing so much with the news of Aaron's visionary tactics in his new career with Journal Register Company. In fact he actually is so impressed with Aaron that he suggested that dear friend Ramón shave his head to show support for Aaron. I don't know why Daddy keeps touching Ramón's new bald head but I guess maybe it is for luck or to make sure there is no lice.

Please, join Boots in his adamant support of Aaron, a wonderful man and JRC rising star. On behalf of my entire family, much love and kindness is wished upon all of you.

9. Damn, his mug is on here now. That's just cold!!!

10. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

I've gotten some feedback and clarifications so let me update the list:

Ted Rodgers
    Doug Jacobs (2 terms)
    Chris D'Amico
    Larry O'Rourke
    John Buonoro
    Laura Ann Eckert
    Mike Raffaele (2 terms)
    Rich Timlen
    Storm Gifford
    Ted Holmlund
    Eric Barrow
    Chris Baud
    Jim Davis
    Mark Schiele
    James Marshall
    Dave Lariviere
    Tom Jacobs
    Ron D'Orazio (2 terms)

Carl Barbati
    Chris Collins (2 terms)
    Aaron Bracy

Craig Schmidt and Eric Ladley were not officially sports editors or even acting sports editors but they were responsible for some sort of supervision over the department.

11. wedgewood

wedgewood Member

(Apologies. Kind of an inside joke)

Quiz time for those at 600 Perry St.:

1. Who is Phil Nelson? Please, go in detail. Puhleeze.

2. What is Joan Galler's alias? And why do you think that's her alias? And this is just me asking, has her aunt died yet?

3. How many backbreaking hours does Jeff Edelstein work per week?

4. What's Jack Knarr's favorite word? ( And no, cocksucker and motherfucker don't count)

5. What's Sammy's last name?

6. Has Paul threatened to kill the publisher lately?

7. Have you beaten the new sports editor to a pulp with the wiffle ball bat yet? Muting the TV is reason enough. Just askin'.

8. Why is Murray such a jackass moron? Is there a decent guy underneath it all? Your thoughts.

9. On a scale of 1 to 10, how bad do you hate Matt? Uhh .. not the old copy editor.

10. What do the letters L.A. stand for? (No, lazy ass doesn't count)

12. JCornfield

JCornfield New Member

Boy this thread brings back memories...

Want to clear up one thing...at least one reporter has recently moved on to bigger and better things from the Trentonian. Trymaine D. Lee was a news reporter there a few years back. He went to New Orleans and now onto the New York Times.

It's not all rotting cesspool...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.