1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-Purpose, Never-Ending Soccer Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zizzer, Mar 1, 2006.

1. zizzer

zizzer Active Member

It's still early in the cycle. Eddie Johnson may get his career back on track, and Kenny Cooper used to play overseas before coming back to MLS last summer.

I have a feeling we won't get a chance to see most of the guys on the pitch at the same time - he'll split the lineup for the two matches, i.e., Keller will play one game with Guzan the backup, then head back to Germany and Howard will replace him, with Guzan again the backup.

Only name I didn't recognize was Frank Simek... anyone know anything about him?

2. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

As everyone pretty much knows, I'm Ive's pimp. As such click here for his blog. He put up some comments regarding the goalkeeper situation. He also posts that he will be back to assess the backline, etc.

3. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

How 'bout them Dynamo! All right, doesn't quite have a ring to it. But CNNSI's Luis Bueno wrote an article detailing the failings of MLS vs. Mexcian league teams in the CONCACAF club tourney and Houston goes out and wins 2-0. D.C. tying Chivas 1-1 is pretty damn impressive, too.

It'll be tough trying to pull out some good results in Mexico, but it's still a couple of good showings.

4. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

It's not like there are a ton of forward options playing in Europe, either. Maybe with a strong group behind him, somebody like EJ can take steps toward recovering his touch.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

In order for EJ to regain his touch, he needs to play against an overwhelmed Panama team which will allow him to get three garbage time goals. Some people got it and some people don't. EJ don't got it.

6. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

7. FCE

FCE Member

simek is a former arsenal player. captained the reserve team, but only got in one senior match. he's been a regular for sheffield wednesday as a right back the past two years. he lived in england because his dad was working for anheuser-busch and was spotted and signed by arsenal. good to see him get a shot.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

MY thoughts exactly. Can't get an international career back on track that was never on track to begin with.

Donovan has world-class potential at least as it applies to CONCACAF, but I'm not sure he would crack a good European defense with any consistency. Twellman, ugh. He should never see the field for a meaningful game, which these are not. Cooper has good potential as a McBride-like target man and muscle, but his European experience is as follows (from the FC dallas Web site):

Following his high school career, Cooper was signed by English giant Manchester United in 2003. Cooper was discovered while playing for the Solar Soccer Club in the 2003 Dallas Cup and received a tryout with Manchester United in the summer of 2003. He signed a three-year contract later that fall and was a regular in United's reserve team while also experiencing loan spells at English club Oldham Athletic and Academica Coimbra in Portugal.
    2005-2006: Scored 5 goals in 12 Reserve League games for Manchester United Reserves…Was loaned to Oldham Athletic on 1/29 after the end of his Academia spell…Scored 3 goals in first nine reserve games for Oldham…Entered as a substitute in FA Cup game vs. Bolton on 1/30 (lost 1-0).

2003-2004: Scored twice in a 3-1 win against local rivals Manchester City on 5/11 to give United the Manchester Senior Cup, returning the trophy to Old Trafford for the 26th time in its long history…The Manchester Senior Cup is a tournament played among the five professional teams in Manchester… Scored for Man. United Reserves on the day of his first addition to United's first-team squad list in 2-0 win over Nottingham Forest 2-0 on 8/12…His 32nd minute strike was the first of United's campaign in the Barclays Premiership Reserve League North…Loaned to Academica Coimbra in Portugal. 8/24.

Nothing too special.

We have three years to come up with some attackers. Because this group - and I honestly can't name a quality frontliner we have in Europe right now -strikes fear in no one.

9. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Wow, I remember seeing this on TV a while back. I finally found it.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Oh that's just wrong.

11. Uncle_buck

Uncle_buck Member

Erm.....December 17th 2006 West Ham 1 - 0 Man Utd

12. Uncle_buck

Uncle_buck Member

Ahh Ronaldinho...... Remember when he wasn't a chubby former king of football??

Draft saved Draft deleted