1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Great Mike Freeman interview on The Big Lead

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Mar 12, 2007.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Not to excuse anything, but by the time we found out Mike lied on his resume, he already had established himself as a first-rate sports writer. The lie didn't advance his career -- he had done that with his body of work to that point. What he's done is not offer excuses but admit he was wrong, which is more than you can say about most athletes when they get caught at something ("we have to wait until the facts are in," or "I was misquoted," or "I'm sorry if anyone was offended.").

There are a lot of bad people in our profession. There are a lot of drunks, hooker-mongers, liars, cheaters, plagarizers, hypocrites and assholes. I'll take Mike and his mistake over 99.9 percent of them right now.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

A_F,

Shockey's post was that some people named in the rant have more cred with him than Mike Freeman.

The facts seem to be that:

1. Mike Freeman published a rant. FACT
    2. Mike Freeman named or otherwise identified people in the rant. FACT

The rest would be shockey's opinion, now, wouldn't it?

3. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Look, the issue today isn't whether or not Freeman lied on his resume five years ago, or whenever it was. It's that he chose to bring the whole controvery up in an interview in which he made himself out to be a victim and threatened legal action.

Which is ridiculous. Period.

4. busuncle

busuncle Member

I would say lying is worse IN ANY INDUSTRY (except maybe truck driving or something.)

In fact, I don't think there's any comparison between non-work-related personal legal problems and intentional dishonesty about one's academic credentials.

5. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr Hondo,

Exactly what do you have against drunks?

I'm far more suspicious of someone who doesn't drink than a guy who makes beer his hobby.

YHS, etc

6. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Spare me the paying-penance line.

Look at the places he worked before: a veritable Who's Who of wet-dream papers. And it's not like he was stuck in Jacksonville.

Freeman makes some interesting points, but the martyr complex from someone who's had a pretty easy time finding jobs in a brutal job market is tiresome to say the least.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Not sure what is less surprising here: That Hondo is name-dropping and praising someone who used to work in his favorite city Jacksonville (does Mike look you in the eye and refer to you by your first name when he talks to you too, Hondo?) or that A_F is acting like a clueless jackass calling Shockey's creds into question.

If you paid ANY attention here you'd know who Shockey is and realize he's being modest with the claim that bigger writers than he were assaulted by Freeman.

Freeman: Boo fucking hoo. you lied, you got caught. You could cry and wail about no one letting you forget this if only you weren't the one mentioning it all the fucking time. I wonder if you think the investigation of George O'Leary's false resume engenders such passion in you, or if this is a selective thing.

Your friend,
    BitterYoungSurgeon

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Then you got some whacked-out priorities in how you judge people.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Just hand me the 8-iron and wipe my grips.

10. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Kumbaya!

And that goes for you, too, Mizzou. And to Mike Freeman. Seriously.

11. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Freeman's interview sounds like nothing more than a rant down at Louie's Bar and Grill.

Draft saved Draft deleted