1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

metal baseball bats benched in NYC?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by writing irish, Mar 14, 2007.

1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-jimlitke-031307&prov=ap&type=lgns

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I wish there were more reporters interested in this issue.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Problem is, if you ban metal bats, you give a lot of poorer public schools barely able to field a baseball team as it is the silver bullet to kill it. Keeping a team flush in wood bats is way more expensive than doing it with whatever alloy composite you're using.

It's a catch-22 for sure.

4. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I'm starting to think this is more of a political issue than one of safety. It pops up every year, with the same result.
    The only thing it's usually good for is getting some beaurocrat's face in the paper.

5. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Good point, Meat. It's a messy issue, for sure, with no obvious solution.

Riddick, maybe some politco jackoffs use the issue for publicity, but I personally view it as a safety issue.

6. busuncle

busuncle Member

There have been a handful of very sad, very unusual tragedies involving metal bats, so it's no surprise that a couple of politicians are flocking to this issue.

Wooden bats for every youth league in America would be great...if only they could invent a wooden bat that was cheaper, more durable and didn't break. Until then, we're stuck with metal bats.

7. busuncle

busuncle Member

Just noticed this quote from the article...

In other words, believe my anecdotal experiences instead of real data.

8. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

James Oddo = Giant Douche

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Other than the threat of injuries, is there any reason (other than baseball purists getting a woody (ha!) over this) that they should outlaw metal bats?

10. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

you can make a composite bat that acts more like wood and is more durable. the problem with the metal bats is that it's a freakin' arms race with $400 bats

11. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I say gradually move toward the ban on metal bats. Let the bat manufacturers come up with different levels of quality of the wood bats. High-end wood bats they can sell in the sporting goods stores and lower-end models they can get a tax write-off on by donating them to inner-city Little Leagues and school teams.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

They aren't worried about injuries. They're worried about getting sued over injuries.

Draft saved Draft deleted