1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pokey Chatman Resigns....Dead Pelican reports...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PTSportsWriter, Mar 8, 2007.

1. The Dead Pelican (A nice rip of Drudge) reporting that...

WAFB REPORTS that rumors swirl about an "inappropriate relationship" with one the girls on the team being a reason for Pokey stepping down... DEVELOPING...

http://www.thedeadpelican.com/

2. I was very shocked to hear this news.

I thought all was well with her and LSU.

She has established herself as a head coach over there.

It's too bad and too sad to hear what transpired this afternoon.

3. busuncle

busuncle Member

The rumors are not exactly new.

There are volumes that can be written about women's basketball that will never appear in mainstream publications.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I'm not being critical of reporters or the media. Nor am I saying that coach-player relationships are common. Just saying that reporters, myself included, are understandably cautious when people's private lives are involved.

4. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Agreed. And they said people were afraid to tackle steroids.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

When you have a woman coaching women's basketball, it's somewhat predictable and easy to throw out there the predictable and easy thing to throw out there that a few news outlets have sorta thrown out there -- sorta. I'm not so sure it's as simple as people are suggesting.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

When I clicked on the pokey story it was just the AP version. Why would any reputable news outlet report about "rumors swirling?"

Dumbasses.

7. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Jhonny,

It's not just women coaching women's sports. It's very easy to paint a man coaching women in the same light.

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

WAFB often acts like anything but a reputable news outlet. The reporter who said that on-air is a young pup and an admitted LSU fan (it's in their commercials) who frequently posts on LSU fan message boards. His boss reported in December that LSU was a lock to play in the Rose Bowl. They are first on a lot of stories, but they are often wrong -- and unprofessional -- too.

If I recall the WAFB report correctly, I think he leaned on a report from "sister station WWL" when mentioning the rumors.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

If I had a dollar for every time a woman coach resigned abruptly and "rumors were swirling about inappropriate relationships" with players, I'd be a very rich man.
    More disturbing to me was this nugget, buried in the seventh graf of the AP story:

"LSU officials said the media was not permitted to contact any of Chatman’s current players until further notice."

Does this mean they won't be available for interviews leading up to the NCAA tournament? I'd guess the NCAA would mandate their presence at the postgame conferences, but this must royally piss off the folks on the LSU beat.

10. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Times-Picayune called the players anyway. Good for them.

If there are "volumes" about women coaches and players but they are not written, why not?

Not trying to be a dumbass, which I am sometimes, but if there were rumors or reports about a male coach with one of his players people would be digging to get the story.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's funny. Like LSU can decide whether the media is permitted to contact players or not.

Now, they can tell the players to keep their traps shut, but the school doesn't control the media.

12. busuncle

busuncle Member

I think today's Times-Picayune story was written just right...the skepticism seeps through without the reporter actually calling the story B.S.

Draft saved Draft deleted