1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MUSIC THREAD

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, May 4, 2006.

1. pallister

pallister Guest

Anyone been to the Wanee Festival in Live Oak, Fla.? I'd like to do the two-day camping thing, but I think I can only go the second night. From the schedule, sounds like it would be worth it.

Devon Allman's Honeytribe
    Gov't Mule
    Keller Williams
    Oteil And The Peacemakers
    Robert Randolph & The Family Band
    Rose Hill Drive
    Susan Tedeschi
    The Allman Brothers Band
    The Derek Trucks Band
    The Radiators

2. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Yup, though I'm partial to "Girls Can Tell" and "Kill The Moonlight."

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Anybody have Joe Ely's new disc "Happy Songs from Rattlesnake Gultch"? If so, how is it?
    Looks like I'll be getting Tuesday when I buy the new Son Volt album (on sale at Best Buy for $9.99)

4. danny_whitten

danny_whitten Member

The Allman family camp out. That stuff always sounds so great, until you're actually there camping out. When I'm in the press box, I want to be with hippies. When I'm with hippies, I want to put a bullet in my head.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

No camping allowed if you go for just one night, and that's fine with me.

6. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Saw a pretty decent band last night - Blueground Undergrass. Friend of mine says the guy who leads the band, a banjo player, used to play with Col. Bruce Hampton. They did a nice cover of "Like A Hurricane". I imagine they're playing in college towns across the South. Well worth the $8 cover.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I once had to cover a Grateful Dead concert in one of the biggest hippie cities in the world. I've never been in a more hostile crowd in my life. They love everybody... as long as everybody is wearing tie-dye and smells like a goat soaked in patchouli.

8. pallister

pallister Guest

I decided to go for both days and get the VIP package -- good seats, good parking, camping amenities, catered food, drink discounts. Basically paying extra to avoid the masses.

9. danny_whitten

danny_whitten Member

That goat smell? Is that the hippie perfume all those, ahem, chicks are wearing?

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The curiosity was killing me, so I downloaded ... And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead's "So Divided." Like what I'm hearing so far ... kind of fuzzy, but cool. Good tempo. "Stand In Silence" is excellent, and a lot of the other songs are an interesting mix of horns and odd drum beats.

11. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I was able to listen to most of the new Son Volt disc earlier today and so far its really, really good (not that I expected it not to be). I like the horns. It's on sale at Best Buy for $9.99 and comes with a Best Buy exclusive 3 track bonus CD.

12. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Never listened much to Son Volt. But I like Uncle Tup and Wilco. Should I try?

Draft saved Draft deleted