1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For the Wilco fans with no plans this Saturday night....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by tyler durden 71351, Mar 3, 2007.

1. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

The band is hosting a listening party for the new album on their Web site tonight, starting at 10 p.m. central.
    Here's the link http://smartley3.wilcoworld.net/sbs/

2. pallister

pallister Guest

A Wilco tangent here: Did anyone catch Son Volt on Conan Thursday? I've always liked Jay Farrar better then Jeff Tweedy, but I changed the channel before the song was over. Jay Farrar and horns do not go together. While I'm here, Uncle Tupelo just started playing on ITunes. Neither Farrar nor Tweedy will ever be as good apart as they were together (Sorry Wilcoites).

3. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Blasphemy.

4. fever_dog

fever_dog Active Member

uncle tupelo sucks compared to wilco.

that said, that new wilco record is awful. it's boring, bloated and with little to say. a real disappointment.

but hey, dylan made some crappy records too.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

I like Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, but Wilco is overrated. Boring, bloated and nothing to say sums it up perfectly. And not just on the latest album.

6. that's like saying the Beatles suck compared to Wings

listen to Anodyne
    listen to Still Feel Gone
    listen to a live recording or two

then come back and run a correction

7. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

I heard a couple of songs online and the ones they did in concert, just didn;t do a lot for me. Also, is The thanks I get (We can make it better) not on the album, or is it renamed. That's my favorite of the new songs. Sorry I missed the listening party.

Agree with write...listen to uncle tupelo. Thye far from sucked. And the first couple of son vilts records are incredible, just as good as the first two wilco records.

And the new son volt song is great. Horns and Jay Farrar do go well together, nice to mix it up a bit.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Did you think Summerteeth was boring and bloated? As much as I like YHF, Summerteeth just kicks ass all the way through. I agree that there are parts of A Ghost Is Born that could have been more concise (Spiders (Kidsmoke) probably would be a better song if it was six minutes shorter).

9. John

John Well-Known Member

I've said it here before: I want to like Wilco more than I actually do.

10. danny_whitten

danny_whitten Member

Uncle Tupelo was brilliant, but in their solo careers it's become obvious that Tweedy can write and Farrar can't. You can always hire a guitar player.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Heh, I feel the same way about bands like Kings of Leon and The Hold Steady. I keep trying to like them, but there's something that just doesn't click.

12. agree with both. the hype - especially in the Hold Steady's case - far outweighs the product. Kings of Leon just meh

first Son Volt record was flat-out insanely great. just a steady decline in Jay's songwriting ability since. sad to see

Draft saved Draft deleted