1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SF Asian weekly runs "Why I Hate Blacks" column

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Perry White, Feb 27, 2007.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Which doesn't even come close to excusing this kid's bullshit. Trust me, he's never taken any crap for being Asian worse than what I've heard for being Jewish, and I heard plenty as a kid.

As I've mentioned before on this board, that treatment actually made me more accepting of others, particularly other minorities. This idiot refers to himself as a genius in the story somebody linked, but if the best he can do is lash out at others because he faced some level of bigotry, he's nothing more than a child.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Eng's problem is that he comes across as a complete tool.

3. outofplace

There. Fixed.

4. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

I heard he's being replaced by Steve Rushin.

5. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Not to discount your past experiences, but I don't know if you can claim, without knowing, that your ordeals were worse.

What I do know is that I have a friend that is tired of this he's dealing with and he's ready to pack up, quit his near 6-figure paying job and move out of this country. I find it sad that in a country as advanced as this that a corporate work environment isn't immune to the type of racist shit that goes on.

Now, none of that excuses the article. But the reality is that Asians receive a ton of crap from just about everybody.

To be fair, just about all minorities receive crap from just about every other group.

6. outofplace

I said that I don't believe his was worse. All minorities have taken some level of crap at some point in their lives. Without getting into details of some of the particularly bad stuff from my youth, mine included violence and unfair and demeaning treatment by authority figures.

The bottom line is the fact that he may have been treated badly does not come close to excusing his hateful bullshit. Some of us can learn from such experiences and become better people for it. You'd think a self-proclaimed genius would be able to do that.

7. More toolishness... here's a piece he wrote when he was a student at NYU. How anyone could read this and allow him to freelance is beyond me. I don't believe half of this stuff happened.

DISCRIMINATION AGAINST ASIANS AT NYU
    By Kenneth C. Eng

NYU’s Tisch School of the Arts is thought to be one of the most intellectual schools in the world, but it is also one of the most corrupt. As an undergraduate student who is not afraid to express his opinion, I have faced extreme consequences for merely speaking my mind. The story of the troubles I had to go through to maintain my virtues sound so fantastic that one would think it came from a movie, but believe me – it is 100% true to the last word.

I worked my rear end off to get into NYU, achieving a 3.8 average in computer science at SUNY Stony Brook just so I could be admitted. In fact, when I was at Stony Brook, I received at least 10 death threats from students who hated my opinions, and was once thrown out of a philosophy class for bringing up racial issues. When I entered Tisch in May 2002, I assumed that the people there would be more intelligent and that I would be more tolerated. Thence, when I took my first film production class, I expressed my negative views on America, religion and African Americans.

Unfortunately, my assumptions were na‹ve, for NYU’s populace was just as mindless as any other. The class shouted, threatened and loathed me after hearing of my views, often referring to me as “racist fuck” and “terrorist” whilst staring at me as if I were a bestial outcast (in an odd counterpoint, no one cares when racist comments are made against Asians as I will prove later in this article). In fact, the professor reported me to the dean in an attempt to have me expelled for my beliefs, but did nothing when a white person made sexist comments against women. Furthermore, since I always speak my mind, I also made negative remarks about students’ films in class critiques in an attempt to help them improve their work. A student punched me in the back of the head just for being honest about his film.

Expectedly, my request to call security was ignored, and the professor just laughed at me, saying it was a joke. In response, I punched the white student in the face three times and told him that I was being a comedian.
    Nevertheless, I was not going to surrender to the brainwashed majority. Determined, I voiced my convictions loud and clear in my next film course, but this time, I gave the new professor fair warning about them before the class started. Despite my kind gesture, he immediately reported me to the dean just like the other one did. Luckily, the dean decided I was doing nothing illegal, so the worst I got from this class was the occasional chuckle from the white students who laugh at anything different from them.

Later though, a more extreme action was taken against me. An anonymous person with a voice similar to my own impersonated me in February 2003 and made a threatening phone call to the dean in an attempt to have me expelled. It was then that I realized how serious this situation was getting. Not only would this person had to have found the dean’s home phone number, he must also have known my class schedule to time his call correctly, and he had to have known that the dean and I had an argument early that same morning. Since I never show anyone my schedule and the call was made almost precisely when one of my classes was set to end, the only way the imposter could have discovered when I was out of lecture was to have information from numerous people. That implied the frightening possibility that multiple people were observing my life. The only thing that saved me from being implicated for this offense was sheer luck – the class I was taking when the impersonator committed his crime was running late that day. I had quite enough alibis (students and teacher) to exonerate me.

I was later asked to speak to the Tisch Chairman David Irving about my conflicts. At first, he seemed like a rational man who could be reasoned with. However, when the conversation shifted to my controversial views, I told him that I thought Hitler was not a coward and that African Americans were receiving unfair aid from the American government at the expense of Asian Americans. He immediately called the dean, furiously wanting to get me expelled. In fact, when I spoke to Irving again, he blatantly informed me of his own orders to have professors watch out for and report any of my renegade activities. As if it weren’t bad enough that students were stalking me, I now had professors who were watching me as well. The only person who wasn’t going after my head was the dean.

(con't)

8. (Part 2)

Again and again, every time I vocalized my sentiments, I was attacked, threatened and/or harassed by students and faculty. Three more professors gave me nearly failing grades and tried to have me thrown out of NYU during the summer of 2003 because I told other students truthfully how bad their work was, and believe it or not, some anonymous person tried again to frame me for phone-harassing a professor. This call was seemingly timed to be made on a day before I was to meet with the professor to discuss my grade. In addition, the dean told me that Irving’s rumors had gone so far that they were actually influencing the professors to discriminate against me. Nevertheless, I did not need to be told that. It was pretty obvious that in virtually all of my classes, whenever a white student made a negative comment about someone’s work, they were accepted, but whenever I did the exact same thing, the professors docked down my grade by a letter. The only reason my GPA plummeted like a suicidal maniac was because I was not afraid to say what was on my mind regarding touchy issues.

One would think that is as unfair as it gets, but the plot thickens yet. In September 2003, I took a class in which the professor stated clearly: “…don’t use stereotypes”. For the sake of being nice, I was about to comply to this rule just this once, but a week later, a black girl in that class pitched her script, which was loaded with Asian stereotypes. It was so unambiguously racist that a dolt would have been able to notice. Yet – surprise, surprise -- none of the whites made a passing comment about it.

Although I believe that she has the right to express her racist opinions just like I have a right to express mine, the class treated her completely differently than they treated me. When I expressed my negative perspectives on blacks, 90% of all the students call me a “racist fuck” and harassed me physically and verbally, but when a black says something insulting against an Asian no one gives a darn. Not even the professor who said, “don’t use stereotypes” made a single comment of it. In fact, when I defended myself against the black student’s remarks, the whites were outraged and the professor threw me out of class, stating “I cannot imagine any way in which [the student] insulted you”. Gee, she would have practically kissed my scrotum if I were black and I was discriminated against, but since I’m just a yellow-skinned Asian guy, I guess I just don’t have the same right to express opinions as the whites and blacks do.

To hell with that.

I certainly wasn’t going to take this lying down. When I entered my last film class, I wanted to give them a taste of their own medicine. Every session, I flooded the conversation with derogatory remarks about every ethnic group conceivable, spewed loads of anti-American remarks and blared out against the weak-mindedness of religious followers. As expected, the professor tried again to censor me, claiming that it was my fault that the class was getting angry. All the while, the white students clung to each other like cells of a giant superorganism, muttering to each other whenever I said something they were afraid to say, laughing whenever I created art that wasn’t as cliched as theirs. At first, their ignorance was so animalistic that it was disgusting. However, after reflecting upon how most of them only do what society tells them to and live in fear of being despised, I did not hate them anymore. I pitied them. I may not have the “pleasures” of having human companionship like they do, but at least I am not a coward. To this day, I stand by all of my opinions no matter what the consequences.

I tried to take this article to the Village Voice in New York. The editor shouted at me: “That is hyperbole! I don’t believe you.” He had no logical reasons. He just didn’t want to believe it was true. That is why no one ever hears about these incidents. White people only hear what they want to hear. I also took it to the New York Times and Daily News and received no responses.
    Despite all this ruckus, I do have to thank former Dean Elliot Dee for remaining objective throughout my conflicts and fellow filmmaker Pamela Love, who made a documentary about my case.

(And the contact numbers and emails of some of the professors are available through me.)

Again, while this account may sound unbelievable, it is absolutely true to the last word (Elliot Dee and my very large file in the NYU dean’s office can confirm it all). Many students have privately told me that they share similar opinions to mine, but that they are too afraid to express them. Is everyone in art school that afraid to say what they’re thinking? No wonder there’s so much rubbish in Hollywood!

Kenneth C. Eng is the twice-published youngest science fiction novelist in America at age 21 and a current undergraduate student at NYU’s Tisch School of the Arts. He has articles on metaphysics and philosophy as well at Down In The Dirt magazine and at Circle Magazine.

9. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

I couldn't finish the whole deal, but saying good things about Hitler and insulting blacks on the first day of class aren't really the best ways to win friends and influence people. I guess this guy will form the Asian wing of the KKK..

10. outofplace

Well, he said it was all true, so it must be exactly what happened, right?

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

12. boots

boots New Member

Somehow, I don't think the sight of little Asian guys running around in hooded sheets would strike fear in the brothers.

Draft saved Draft deleted