1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Woodbridge, Va.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boots, Feb 26, 2007.

1. JME

JME Member

Pretty much. Good place for a recent college grad or someone looking to work their way up the ladder, not a bad area, but the money isn't great and you don't want to be there for too long.

2. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

Agree with the previous posts. Had a staffer that worked there. Basically could afford to live in a tent on what they gave him and he had mouths to feed, so he left -- cost of living and housing has gone through the roof even since he was there -- average house now costs $325,000. But a decent paper, they have the right ideas about how to do things, if you're willing to live on beans and rice and not using your income as the sole means of support.

3. DrRosenpenis

DrRosenpenis Member

If you can find a roommate or two, you should be able to handle the high cost of living. Maybe.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

You also may need a second job.

Anyone know who's leaving?

5. neely8

neely8 New Member

One of the sports writers left to take a copy editing job at the Washington Examiner back in January.

6. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Once and done for me, since you all know where I work.

neely knows of what he speaks; cosmo does too. He can answer questions.

I can too, if you need it. IJAG and Cosmo know how to get me, since I'd rather not put my e-mail on here.

7. Keystone

Keystone Member

I see things haven't changed. SE has been there since '89.

8. DrRosenpenis

DrRosenpenis Member

SEs that have been at major metros for a long time is usually a good thing. At a small paper such as the PotNews, not so much.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

PoNews got some love in the APSE judging. Two top-10 writing finishes. Nice work, fellas.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Know a solid, sharp-minded reporter there. Always heard good things about Hoodbridge.

11. Michael_Petre

Michael_Petre Member

Given the trainwreck of a shop one of their reporters came from, it's a shock he's winning any APSEs at all... :D

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think I know that trainwreck of a shop. The reporter, though, was a beacon of light in an otherwise disturbed world of darkness.

Edit: Different reporter, different trainwreck of a shop.

Draft saved Draft deleted