1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Broncos RB Nash dies

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shotglass, Feb 24, 2007.

1. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Goddammit. There was A LOT of talk that he might win the RB job this past season before he got dinged up. Team apparently had some real hopes for his being able to win the No. 1 job.

Can we PLEASE lock Champ Bailey in a room where nobody can get to him and only let him run a lap or two around the neighborhood?

2. sports scrub

sports scrub Member

a little insensitive man ... a kid just died and your worried about the fucking broncos prospects of having a good season next year

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Holy crap. I mean .... WOW.

Was at some friends place tonight and Hadn't heard it.

Just .... WOW.

4. crustacean

crustacean Member

Maybe there was extra attention.

That's the thing about heart tests, they're only so accurate.

If I remember right, Maravich died because he had, in effect, a three-chambered heart. Why no one diagnosed that condition until his autopsy still amazes me.

Besides, there are a whole host of things that could've caused Nash's death. It's probably a bit early to speculate.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I will totally agree. There is absolutely no reason to word it that way unless you wanted to give yourself a slobbery dick sucking and let everyone know that you knew before the agent. And when it comes to a sudden death, is it really important to get the exclusive scoop? Really?

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

as I have noted on the board previously, I wound up playing angel of death twice and calling Division I ADs about dead coaches before the ADs knew they were dead ... both within about a year of each other.

Thankfully, I've gone many years without having to do that again.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Did you proudly gloat about it in print? Or do you have a heart?

8. We're on a message board, not at the wake ... chill out.

9. crustacean

crustacean Member

According to Peter King's MMQB column, the due diligence was done with Nash:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/02/26/indy/3.html

10. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Normal physical exams don't protect you from sudden death. There are many reasons for people to drop dead, but most have to do with a failure of the heart's electrical conducting system. I can think of many other "what if" possibilities, but there is no benefit in going down the hypothetical road. Autopsy reports will be able to give some answers, but there is no guarantee that a definitive cause of death may ever be known.

11. I'm not a doctor but isn't the common denominators in these cases an enlarged heart? I'm assuming there's lots of things that can cause that.

12. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

The most common cause of sudden death is an electrical short that causes the bottom chambers of the heart (the ventricles) to fibrillate. The heart does not need to be enlarged for this to happen.

Nash's brother underwent heart transplant for a dilated cardiomyopathy. Dilated means that the chambers of the heart were enlarged and myopathy means that the heart muscle itself didn't work properly. Cardiomyopathy can be hereditary, but tend not to be diagnosed until a heart problem actually exists, so screening is difficult.

When you read about enlarged hearts, it is often in the context of older people who have congestive heart failure (CHF), where the heart is not strong enough to pump the blood and fluids in the blood vessels. This causes the heart to dilate and fluid to leak into the lungs and the legs (the dependent part of the body by gravity)

Draft saved Draft deleted