1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gay sports writers?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Shifty Squid, Feb 16, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

The announcer shouldn't be a problem for you now. If he is dating guys who are legal, that's his business.

2. f8andbethere

f8andbethere Member

And if the boys are still in high school? From one of the schools he covers?

3. boots

boots New Member

If he is still covering the school and dating a boy who he has contact with as a member of the team, then that's a problem. If he's dating a boy who goes to the school he happens to cover, that's not a problem. If the boy is UNDER AGE. That's a major problem.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I just covered both the Maryland men's and women's basketball teams for my paper. After men's games, the coaches would have their press conferences, then the locker rooms would be open to reporters of either gender. The problem is if you want to try to get quotes from both head coaches and players from both teams, it's pretty hard if not impossible.

When I've covered the women's games, both coaches and (usually) players from both teams will come to the media room to be available to the media. No one goes to the locker rooms for the women's teams. I prefer that because then it's much easier to get quotes from players and coaches of both teams. That way, there's no issue regardless of what "team" you play for (in the Seinfeldian sense of the word).

I usually prefer to wait until the player I'm wanting to talk to is at least somewhat clothed before I talk to him or her. It's only fair whether you're straight or gay.

5. fixed

6. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

7. ScooterP

ScooterP New Member

It all really comes down to being professional. I think someone who goes into a lockerroom just to see someone naked is unprofessional and should be fired. I think a gay journalist would not do that because it would be unprofessional. And being professional is what this business is about. Acting in a professional manner.

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Don't put words in my mouth. Or on my screen.

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Mr. Town, might I make a suggestion. They're not really trying to put words into your mouth. They're trying to have "fun with the quote function," which is a running and not-all-that-funny joke on here.

Just wanted to let you know before the rest of us start demanding that you bring us beer since you're a newbie.

Oh, and sportswriter, not a junky is an idiot.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

wow. nice exchange of pleasantries.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Well, SC was right. The newbie needs to remember that this is a message board and lighten up and sportswriter, not a junky is an idiot. Or at least he posts like one.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I think it is quite funny. Always have.

And the newbie may NOW get me a Blue Moon.

Draft saved Draft deleted