1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Simmons out at ESPN?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MiamiACC, Feb 23, 2007.

1. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

You do make a good point there

2. crustacean

crustacean Member

Yeah.

You got me.

Plenty of people are hitting the crack pipe tonight, too.

Also, I think it's "no-talent assclown". Unless you think his ass has no talent. But, that's between you and him.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Thanks for stopping by Henry!

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Maybe people would acknowledge what little talent he has when he shows a smidgin of maturity as an artist. Until that point, which is nowhere in sight, he's a walking Mad Lib. At some point you are what you are, and Simmons is a guy closing in on 40 still writing about the terminally banal. His voice never has changed.

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Seems as good a time as any to repost this:

http://www.serioussportsnewsnetwork.com/sportsguy.html

6. crustacean

crustacean Member

Again, with Olbermann, the politics angle rears its ugly head, nullifying the point about talent. You don't agree with him, therefore he sucks. Yes, many people whould acknowledge what little talent Olbermann has, but only because they're partisan hacks and Olbermann makes his career bucking O'Reilly and Fox News. C'mon ... just because he jerks their chain doesn't mean you have to let him jerk yours.

Seriously, for anyone who's an Olbermann critic, have you ever actually watched an entire show? Or just an out-of-context soundbyte on O'Reilly?

Regarding Simmons ... so, because he has committed the moral effrontery of becoming too famous, prompted some dude to construct a column generator to mock him and aged upward to 40 (let's just shove all the over-30 writers into the gas furnace, yes?) he is talent challenged, as well.

Sorry, I don't follow.

Shit, if he's too "banal", who should take his place on Page 2? Susan Sontag?

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

A guy like Bianchi could outhumor and mop the floor with Billbot any day of the week, in any style. But he can also produce work that's moving and humanly persuasive. Simmons plays Chopsticks on an '80s Casio synthesizer. Week after week after week after week. Just in a different tonality. The only thing missing anymore with him is a laughtrack.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I believe the novels of Susan Sontag are overrated, self-indulgent bullshit.

9. I'm just amused when the "Gay Sportswriters" thread is right above "Bill Simmons out at ESPN?" thread.

10. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

For Simmons' sake I hope he lands somewhere that has editors and fact-checkers. It's apparent he has neither at Page 2.

11. murphy37

murphy37 New Member

The Bill Simmons bashing comes across as really pathetic. It sounds like a bunch of old, bitter sportswriters complaining about a guy that's much more popular than they are.

The guy writes columns that a lot of people really enjoy. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. So what if he uses 80s pop culture references and talks about his college friends? It hasn't affected his popularity.

You're all entitled to your opinions, but it's really simple. Nobody's forcing you to read his columns, and they are free. So if you don't like it, well then good for you. But ridiculing the legions of people that do like his columns is just jealousy and pettiness. Which, coming from some of the bitter people here, is not surprising.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Thanks for stopping by Bill

Draft saved Draft deleted