1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beware, Trentonian offering jobs that don't exist

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Interim Bedwetter, Jan 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

bullshit. from what i understand, matty boy appreciates his "gangsta" position with jrc and brings a monstrous amount of zest with him to work each and every day. from what i've been told, a bobby-bootlickin', asshole who loves his job.

2. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Anyone who has anything nice to say about JRC corporate executives should be sterilized.

3. Bob_Jelloneck

Bob_Jelloneck Member

You're thinking of Gravy Train. Many people think of Trenton when they hear those words.

4. SportsRUs

SportsRUs New Member

You gotta hand it to DeRienzo. He's scoring Brownie points with the Big Man by having 3 people edit, paginate and proofread a 24-page section on weekends, then saving the company even more money when a miniscule error is spotted and people are either suspended or fired. Plus, he's wringing extra work out of writers who are required to cover an event, then high-tail it back to the office to write the story, then help edit, proof and paginate. And in addition, he canned all the part-timers - saving the Big Man even more cash by not having to pay them their little check for 18 hours per week. I say give the guy a promotion, and turn him loose on another paper in the chain! Viva La DeRienzo!

5. Reasons To Not Work For JRC

Reason No. 12: When he was still living in New Jersey Bob demanded that a driver at The Trentonian hand deliver the very last newspaper that was printed each night to Bob's front porch. Bob instructed Trentonian management to order the driver to leave the newspaper at a 90 degree angle up against the front door so that when he opened the door in the morning the newspaper would fall right into the house. One driver making his first trip to Bob's house did not leave the newspaper up against the door at the required angle. The paper was left on the porch and Bob was forced to step outside to pick up the newspaper. Despite one version of this story that sometimes is rumored to be true, this driver was not fired or suspended but was ordered to never again be the person who hand delivers Bob's newspaper. The driver's boss was threatened with termination. A different driver was fired at a later time though. This driver walked across Bob's front lawn instead of using the sidewalk to reach the front porch. Bob saw the footsteps in the dew-wet/soft lawn either when he was opening the door for the newspaper or when he was pulling out of the driveway to leave for the office (I have heard both versions). Bob screamed at the publisher that the drivers had been ordered to never set foot on the grass. The driver was fired later that day. Translation: The driver had walked on sacred ground, a spot where the teen-aged neighbor boy had first stood when he introduced himself to Bob.

6. Derek_W

Derek_W Guest

Of all the "Reasons Not To Work For JRC," this seems like the worst, if it's true. That's simply mind-boggling. I think I'd probably quit on the spot if something like that happened to me.

On a related note: who'll get suspended for this typo on the Trentonian website?
    http://www.trentonian.com/site/news.cfm?brd=1697&nav_sec=49622&nr=1&nostat=1
    (Look at the description for the advertising job)

7. What's the most glaring mistake? The first bold, the second or the third?

8. BudMan

BudMan Member

BOOM! goes your career.

9. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

I think there are a lot of big cities without a daily newspaper already. Even in New Jersey, where the third, fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh and eighth largest cities don't have their own. In Virginia, the largest city (Virginia Beach) doesn't have its own. (Yes, I know they're served by other newspapers. I'm just saying ...)

10. sports scrub

sports scrub Member

any state capitals without their own paper?

11. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

At Journal Register Company, we believe in finding talented people, training them well, challenging them to excel and rewarding them for their hard work and success. :eek:

On the Net: www.journalregister.com/careers.html

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

people with degrees don't apply at mcdonalds, why would they apply at jrc?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.