1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Columnist Ever...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jgmacg, Jun 27, 2006.

1. generalleespeaking

generalleespeaking New Member

Here's a vote for the late Mike McAlary, who died much too young. He was as good a city-side columnist as anyone ... and was just hitting his stride when he passed. He was a terrific writer, wonderful story teller and possessed a compelling voice. He did the legwork, was a respected reporter before becoming a columnist and had a knack for getting people to talk to him. He always managed to tell you something you didn't know, or give you a perspective you hadn't considered.

If you've never read his stuff, you should. You'll be a better journalist for it.

2. Re: Best. Columnist. Ever.

Friend --
    Last month, in Dublin, at a party celebrating "At Swim-Two-Birds," I got to meet The Brother, Miceal O'Nuallain, who's 82 and sharp as a whip, even to the point of saying to me, "You know, I really do like eggs." ("Do you know what I'm telling you? The Brother can't stand the sight of an egg." M naG.) He told me that someone sent him a copy of An Beal Bocht translated from the original Irish into Russian. I have no idea how someone would do that.
    There are more of us out there than you realize, and remember,
    A PINT OF PLAIN IS YOUR ONLY MAN!

3. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr Bastard,

F O'B is James Joyce's superior in every way. Dalkey Archive, Swim, Poor Mouth whatever. The Brother? That's truly amazing--if I could offer in trade my brush with Ernest Hemingway's sparring partner, I might.

YHS, etc

4. The Brother autographed my newest copy of ASTB, too.

5. friend of the friendless

Mr Bastard,

I submit. You met The Brother -- I once had a hamburger prepared for me by Pernell Roberts's brother.

YHS, etc

6. Is it time now to tell you that he bought me a pint?

7. SEWnSO

SEWnSO Member

I grew up reading Frank Luksa and Blackie Sherrod. Oldies but goodies! Those were the days...

8. friend of the friendless

Mr O'Bastard,

Have you no sense of decency, sir?

YHS, etc

9. For me, it would be Dan Barreiro.

The guy was a must-read for years.

He was funny. He was insightful. He told it like it is. He was simply entertaining.

Whenever the Vikings lose, I would immediately log on to the StarTribune.com the next day just to read his rant.

Thank God he has a blog on KFAN now, but I miss reading him in the Star-Tribune.

10. butchie

butchie New Member

Newside over sports. What a bunch of snobs. Next you will pretend getting through a George Will political column isn't an ordeal. The best thing published on Nov. 23, 1963 was written by Jim Murray. He remains the greatest newspaper columnist ever.

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Yes, Butchie, because somebody started a thread about best non-sports columnists, that means we all think sports columnists suck.

Nice leap -- and on a months-old thread, to boot.

12. butchie

butchie New Member

Oops. Another newbie mistake.

Draft saved Draft deleted