1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you guys start an interview?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spud, Feb 16, 2007.

1. spud

spud Member

I saw the one about ending interviews, but I've never had too many problems with that one... it's the beginnings that make me look like an idiot, I'm sure. I usually end up saying something idiotic like, "I've just got a few questions for you," or I just ask how they're doing and launch right into it. Not a big foreplay guy, I guess.

Is there a better way than that? There's gotta be. Or else I wouldn't feel like a doofas in one-on-ones.

How do you guys usually start interviews?

2. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Like a lot of men, I skip the foreplay and just get down to it.

3. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

I just ask, "Can I talk to you?"

Sometimes, with the kids that know me, I'll just call their name and they'll come over knowing what I need.

4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I try a little icebreaker...
    I shake their hands with one of these...

[​IMG]

Then I say: "If you think that's original, you should see my copy..."

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Depends on if the interviewee and I know each other or not. If we do, then I might make a little small talk and wait for a segue. If it's somebody I don't know, there's little sense doing that so I get right down to business.
    And if it's a crowd situation, where we're looking for man-on-the-street stuff, I'll stalk them for a few minutes.

6. fishwrapper

Wow. So, you don't use the hand buzzer?

7. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

With the team I cover, I just chat them up for a minute, then pull out the notebook or recorder and say, "okay, let's get you on the record now."

Other teams or stringing for another paper, I just introduce myself and ask them for quotes for the story.

As a former aerospace engineer-turned-cops reporter once said, "This is not rocket science. I've done rocket science. This ain't it."

8. Do you really say, "Let's get you on the record now?"

I know you're trying to be casual, but that seems as if it would scare the shit out of someone without much experience at being interviewed. It sounds like, "Let's put you on the polygraph now."

I think I'd say something a little more off-handed, like, "Would you mind if I turned on my tape recorder?"

"Can I ask you a few questions?" has always worked pretty well for me.

9. fishwrapper

How about:
    "Care for some sodium pentathol?"

[​IMG]

10. grrlhack

grrlhack Member

Why make it so hard? A lot of times, even when I'm making small talk, I'll turn my recorder on.

Usually, it's like this:
    "So how's it going? ...You guys have a tough one this week, huh?"
    Blah Blah Blah...stuff like that as an icebreaker. I usually ask about the upcoming game even when I have no intentions of using it. Just to get them in the flow.

11. i find this is the best way to do it, especially with those I don't know well

start out just talking to them with good eye contact and at some point when you sense a comfort level get the notebook out and gradually turn it into the interview

make the person feel comfortable

12. I open the jar of vaseline ...

Draft saved Draft deleted