1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Jose copy editor

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by German Ethel Merman, Jan 29, 2007.

1. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

Anyone familiar with that paper know if Will McCahil is still on staff?
    Hope he didn't get the ax with the others who were cut.

2. tball

tball New Member

Will's still here, thankfully. He's our ASE/Nights, in charge of the copy desk.

3. lohengrin

lohengrin Member

A few years ago, I was at a CSNE job fair and the Mercury-News was considered one of the gold standard papers there. The editor was the fellow with the goatee (if you worked there, you know who I mean) and people were approaching their table as if it was an altar or something. Now it sounds as if it's a mess there.

4. Yes, I knew him through Knight Ridder. He did a lot of hiring of sports writers and news and sports copy editors and, for a while, features writers. I remember him telling me about a hiring a former sports writer as a movie critic who did really well.

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

That's not all that uncommon at Guild papers. A long time ago a Guild paper hired me at the four-year level (top scale at six years) and kicked me to five years after a few months and then to top scale I think about six months after that. So my salary increased 30 percent, and when you consider what I was making at the previous job, my salary doubled within about nine months. (I was 25 and didn't know it wasn't always going to be like that.) They can always give you more, they just can't give you less.

6. And to think Tony Ridder said McClatchy would take good care of the Merc... good guy, that Tony.

7. Gold

Gold Active Member

The presence of a union has never prevented management from giving an employee more money.

8. Jumpin Jack Flash

Jumpin Jack Flash New Member

Anyone heard anything? Are they still looking, or have they zeroed in on someone?

Draft saved Draft deleted