1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Agate Editor, Dallasssssssssssssss

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by wickedwritah, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Uh, ok? Ugh!!

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Need the Heimlich, dude?

I believe he was making the point that a paper like the DMN should already have so many resumes on file, and have so many tentacles everywhere, that filling an agate position with someone who just wants to get their foot in the door at a great newspaper, would be quite easy.

3. Editude

Editude Active Member

I got a call from an editor at the DMN as a reference for someone up for this gig. It is surprising that a section that reinvented the display of agate 25 years ago is trolling to fill an agate spot with fairly low expectations.

4. Not exactly surprising, E. The most recent buyout claimed many of their best assigning and copydesk editors, as well as four very high-profile writers among other losses. It's a case of buyer beware. Sad to see, because in the Division I of newspapers, they have slid from major to mid-major and are no longer a destination newspaper. Just another rung on the ladder.

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

At least until Belo wises up and sells. In the hands of the right company, the DMN can be a player again.

Until then, FWST kicks butt. And no, I don't work there.

6. This I can live with, except for the Heimlich.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I'm still wondering about all the "sssss's" in the thread title. Is that supposed to signify hissing like a snake, or like the air being let out of a tire?

8. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

It's probably Yates trying to catch his breath from his dual roles of SE and overseer of the business section. The descent of that place is, uh, breathtaking.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Just because the Dallas Morning News is posting its agate clerk ad, doesn't mean it has to post it to fill the job.

I also would contend that doing a good job as a full-time clerk at a big paper like Dallas will move you up in the business faster than starting out at some weekly.

'Course if you want to write, you have to bust your ass on the agate and still find time to keep your hand in the writing side.

10. lohengrin

lohengrin Member

It's a pretty sad state of affairs when people start thinking of the DMN as a resume-builder.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Ace, in theory, you are right. But can you imagine the environment there? I am sure everyone is putting in their best effort to do the best with what they have still, but I'm sure it's not the good ship lollipop, either. Somehow, I'm thinking that may not be the best environment for someone breaking into the business.

12. lohengrin

lohengrin Member

In the days of Dave Smith, you would certainly have a great pedigree coming from Dallas. But now, everybody seems to know about the current disarray. And besides, unless you already live there, it's a pretty big and expensive area to go to in order to try to get by as an agate clerk.

Draft saved Draft deleted