1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Orlando

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

This is another example of the selective ethics enforcement from Tribune, which has distinguished itself with its gross inconsistencies in deciding what to enforce and what not to enforce.

This is the same company that had several of its reporters at its LA TV station (KTLA) accept trips, furniture, hotel stays and other perks without any repercussions, save a slap on the wrist when its media sister -- the LA Times -- wrote about it. Had there been no stories, the gravy train would have kept rolling on.

It's also the same company that has another golf writer write stories for another program. And this person still has their job.

Aside from Steve's examples, there are other stories of the inconsistencies inherent in Tribune's chimp-dart actions, including one I'm personally familiar with that was an equal gross overreaction. But this was way, waaaaay out of line and another example of the colossal cluelessness permeating the upper reaches of most newspapers.

2. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I don't know Steve, but I find it disgusting that he would be fired over this minor drama and what's-her-name gets a boost (no, not a boots) to ESPN after making the paper look stupid and defending her right to do so.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Wow, what a complete over-reaction.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Good luck, Steve.

It's curious why a luxury lifestyle magazine is taking shots at the hometown paper in an editorial.

5. floridasun

floridasun Member

Maybe Lynn can clear up things ... ?

6. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

That magazine is a worthless piece of shit, IMO. Anyone who supports Steve should fill their in-boxes.

I really want to read the editorial that led to Elling's dismissal. Can someone post it?

7. leo1

leo1 Active Member

that would be nice. although we have no reason to doubt steve we're only hearing one side of the story. and the side we're hearing sucks.

hang in there, steve.

8. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Here's the editorial.

http://www.orlandomagazine.com/inout.html

9. sheos

sheos Member

We don't have to name names, because I don't like that sorta crap, but what did what's-her-name do that was so bad and makes everyone on this board cringe? I must have missed that one.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

From Steve's post:

had a former columnist recently write an R-rated story on the pros and cons of oral sex on her personal blog site,

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

That was the part 2 of the series. It didn't run because she had to take the blog down.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Not too recent. We're talking at least a year ago by now.

Draft saved Draft deleted