1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Office - 2/8 SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cosmo, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Good God, yes. I watched the tape of last week's show an hour before this week's episode.

I'm the one who needs the meds. A thousand apologies to Flying Headbutt.

You're cleared to drive again, son.

2. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Ricky Gervais only had to pull off two seasons of 6 episodes each. If they had had to stretch that character our over full American seasons it would have been much tougher to pull off. It also made the documentary format easier to maintain, I think.

3. I freaking lost it when Ryan went Mutombo on the flowers.
    You could have easily missed it. Perfect.

4. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I watched all the BBC shows a month or so ago after not having seen them for more than a year, but Gervais' character was anything but sympathetic (at least until the Christmas episode wrap-up, where he's anything but until the last half-hour or so). David Brent was a racist, homophobic, sexist pig. And I don't say that implying he was anything less than funny. He just wasn't sympathetic and a bit more mean-spirited than I remembered. Still love it.

Comparing the Brit and American versions isn't quite apples and oranges. Maybe grapefruit and oranges. It still does a disservice to the NBC show. I know; I did that when I first saw the NBC pilot. Completely derivative, but it became its own show very quickly after that. I just missed it until the last few months.

5. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

I loved the Pavlov dog experiment.

But I haven't laughed as hard at a Jim-Dwight bit since when Dwight received the faxes from "Dwight from the future."

6. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Yeah, that was pretty subtle, but funny as hell. I like how Pam and Roy left together, nothing like some sex with someone else to get over the person you really love.

And echo the part about Michael being painful this week. It was funny with the wheelchair, but the stuff with the wedding was too much. At least he found Uncle Al.

Loved Creed placing his card on the gift, Phyllis stealing all of Pam's ideas was funny, Dwight playing bouncer and later dancing with Angela outside and Kelly telling Pam to get drunk and tell someone she's pregnant.

7. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Michael was definitely over-the-top this week, but it was all to set up the end where Phyllis was happy with him for finding Uncle Al.

So tell me again, why did Pam turn down Jim? Other than to string out the plot line? Or is this just a case of she didn't realize she wanted him until he was with someone else?

8. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Glad to read I wasn't the only one thinking, "ENOUGH!" with Michael. Jesus.

I don't care if he found Uncle Al or not, it was too much. Far too much.

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I thought they went a little too far with Michael this week, but I think the point lately has been how much worse he is outside of the office. He's comfortable enough with the people he works with that even though he's still an idiot he's not trying as hard. When somebody new comes to the office (Prison Mike) or he's out in the world (Diwali, this wedding) he tries way to hard and comes off even more cartoonish.

I like the way they are doing the Jim-Pam thing. My wife, on the other hand, got so upset last night she didn't watch Scrubs or 30 Rock and said she's through with The Office. I don't know how someone can get so upset about two people on a TV show, but it was kind of funny.

10. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Is this one up on dailymotion yet? Anyone?

11. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Dailymotion.com is down at the moment. (12:10 PM)

12. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

On Michael, I thought it might have been a little too much as well, but they set the premise up as how he's only been to one wedding in his life (and he didn't reallt stay long at that one), so he has no clue what goes on. Plus, he's already demonstrated he's kind of a control freak of sorts when it comes to his employees; he always wants to be the boss no matter the situation. And we already know he can be selfish, which was played out in this episode as well.

Anyway, one subtle humorous point I found was when Michael was talking to Uncle Al and Uncle Al said how the Celtics were a great team. Michael's response was "Yeah, Robert Parish." Who the hell mentions Robert Parish first when talking about great Celtics teams?

Draft saved Draft deleted