1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Writer/designer in Danville, Va.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by DrewWilson, Feb 2, 2007.

1. DrewWilson

DrewWilson Member

For all those May graduates, just because we might move fast on this job doesn't mean it's not a good idea to send your clips. As I said, the goal is to move fast, but it doesn't always work out that way. And even if we move fast now, it doesn't mean we won't have another opening down the road. I keep all resumes on file.

Plus, the newspaper business is a small world. Sports editors in the same region or in the same chain talk, and another place might be looking for someone. I know several SEs in the past have recommended candidates that were finalists at their paper, but ended up not getting that particular job. Just a thought.

2. boots

boots New Member

Good safety points Drew. The paper has come a long way and in some area may have a ways to go, but it's a decent gig and you could do much, much worse.
    This gig has the coveted boots seal of approval.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Drove through R&B country today on my way to a game in South Carolina ... snuck a peek at the sports section, and I have to say, it looks very good. I had only ever seen the paper online. Drew's obviously doing nice things down there.

4. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Beware for a flood of resumes Drew!

5. Needs_More_Cowbell

Needs_More_Cowbell New Member

Do you need to have a valid driver's license for this job? Because I've heard past employees have not.

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

That should probably read employee, singular.

7. back to the topic at hand, how are those resumes coming?

8. DrewWilson

DrewWilson Member

I've only received a couple my snail mail, so I'd imagine those who've sent theirs will get here in the next few days.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I'm sure there will be plenty of resumes received.

10. melock

melock Well-Known Member

I agree. This is a good job at a good paper. ME understands what's going on and there's good stuff to cover. Great job for a new grad or someone with 1-2 years experience

11. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Melock! Hey, buddy.

Draft saved Draft deleted