1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Green Bay ASE

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by OrangeGrad, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Is this a desk gig? Cause I'm pretty sure the SE goes to a lot of the Packers games. Does the ASE also?

2. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Did I hear the word "absorb"?

Gannett spreading everyone thin, eh?

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

No, but you read it... ;)

4. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

As far as I know, the ASE gig is almost strictly in-office.

And based on recent conversations, Havel's gig is definitely being "absorbed", much to the chagrin of those still working there.

5. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

They already get scooped by everyone else in the country. Now this? Feel bad for the staff.

6. PP and K

PP and K New Member

That's right about the ASE. The guy who was ASE wrote a column once in a while, but never covered anything. He was in the office on the desk.

7. WSKY

WSKY Member

long winters

8. PTOWN

PTOWN Member

You're not kidding. I lived in Wisconsin for a bit during my college days and remeember getting a few inches of snow on the first day of May.

9. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Shit, I remember getting 10 inches of snow on May 15 once.

10. I may be outing myself here, but I used to work at the other Green Bay newspaper in town, the News-Chronicle, that folded a few years ago.

Personally, I loved Green Bay. I actually lived halfway between Green Bay and Appleton, and enjoyed both cities. There were plenty of cultural opportunities, a handful of good restaurants, and from May-September, a surprisingly large number of good golf courses.

Everyone knows about the Packers, but there's good college basketball in the winter, leaving the summer as the only down time as far as having something of note to cover (although there is plenty of Packers stuff still going on at that time of year). Also, the high school sports in the area are quite good.

Sure, it's cold in winter. That's no surprise. Then again, it's the same way for half the country that time of year.

11. Mira

Mira Member

Yeah, I remember that blizzard in May. Brutal. And it's 6- today.

12. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I had a friend say he never expereienced real freezing weather until he spent eight months in Wisconsin.

Draft saved Draft deleted