1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

End of Saban/Herald/Radio story

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Feb 4, 2007.

1. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

Yeah, I'm sure I'm the only one who finds this condescending, especially since you were referring not to me at this point but two highly respected posters on this board.

I don't always agree with Buck and spnited, but the discussion is usually entertaining and provoking ... A lot of people commit the sin of spending time here.

2. ejs

ejs New Member

Spend the time... just get the facts straight, particularly if you're not going to use your real name.

3. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

I get it. You use your name. You're better than those of us who don't.

Now go to bed. You failed to make your graceful exit an hour ago.

4. ejs

ejs New Member

by the way, you just proved my point about the stamp. something's off on my computer. look at the quote from me that you used (Feb. 4 at 4:21:58 a.m.). I sent that an hour ago. At 2:21 a.m. on Feb. 5.

I'm not "better." If you get your facts right, and you don't hang your alleged sources out to dry, you can post anonymously all day. Otherwise, it would be better if you gave your name, to stand by what you say.

OK, we're boring everyone, I'm sure, so I'll take your advice.

5. Yankee

Yankee Member

To totally change the subject on this matter (sorry), does anyone else find it odd that Dan Patrick would call for Darlington to be fired when ESPN reported off the record slurs made by the Oklahoma baseball coach to the two ESPN announcers calling the game (one was Gary Thorne, I think) in a private pre-game conversation? The Oklahoma coach was forced to resign/retire

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Because they've seen people do it so many times in movies and TV shows, coaches and politicians (the two main groups who do it the most), think they can spout out whatever ridiculous, defamatory or damaging statements they want, and if they mutter "oh hey this is off the record," that preemptively scrubs their asses all clean.

Then, when their self-sinking statements become public, they (or their PR handlers/puppydogs) immediately shift into "kill the messenger" mode, accusing the reporter of an "ethical violation" or "violating confidentiality."

Confidentiality is a specialized status GRANTED by each individual reporter. It is not merely claimed by the act of assertion by the source. He may THINK the simple act of saying "this is off the record" gives him such status, but tough shit. He's wrong.

7. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

Because I edited it down from this post. It included a response to a post you made yesterday morning at that time. The time stamps are accurate. I was just hasty in my edit.

8. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

That's right. I had forgotten about that ... Maybe Patrick was holding Darlington to ESPN's standards and wanted him fired for not running with coonass the next day.

OK, maybe not ...

9. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

Glad you were entertained. He was asking for it.

I was having a frank and genuine conversation with Ethan via PM on Friday and Saturday. We shared info. I explained my situation and my sources to him privately and all seemed well, no hard feelings. Then he shoots me a PM Sunday morning. I don't log on until after the Super Bowl and when I stop by this thread his ripping me for not being up-and-up. Fuck him.

10. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

Ethan ... we can see on the home page that you keep logging back on. Go to bed.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Hey, ejs - Ethan - your writing sucks!

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I've never read his writing.

But Skolnick is a cool name.

Draft saved Draft deleted