1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The incredible Gail Devers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by butchie, Feb 3, 2007.

1. butchie

butchie New Member

What's up with you sexist bastards? Gail Devers won the hurdles last night in New York. She's onyn 40 years old and had a baby 19 months ago. If we're willing to ride a dead horse, shouldn't we make time for some kudos for Devers.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

It's track. So ya know.

I adore Gail though. Great, great story with the thyroid disorder.

I didn't even realize she was still competing. And getting back into competitive shape at her age after a baby is very impressive.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

In addition to her fabulous status as a champion, plus winning as a SPRINTER at 40 while being a new mommy, it should be noted Devers fills up a reporter's notebook like few other athletes.

4. butchie

butchie New Member

Thanks for responding, you'all. This newbie has lost his posting cherry. One of the most heartbreaking sights I've seen in sports was in Barcelona in 1992 when Gail was trying to follow her 100 meters gold with a win in the hurdles. She tripped on the last hurdle and crawled across the finish line in 5th place.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I'll ride her.

6. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

It's track, a sport filled with cheaters and chemistry experiments.

I don't trust that sport, so I don't care about it.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

8. boots

boots New Member

Now it can be told, Gail was once my neighbor and we all know how I treat my neighbors. 8)

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Poor Gail!

10. boots

boots New Member

Chickie, I'll tell you something that I told Gail. We were listening to Love Ballad by LTD and I told her the only thing that sounded better was her having an orgasm. That brought a smile to her face.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

12. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

If Devers has done all of this while totally clean, it's a remarkable story. Wish I could buy into it wholeheartedly, but the words "Merlene Ottey" are hard to shake from the memory for some reason.

Draft saved Draft deleted