1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Green Bay ASE

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by OrangeGrad, Feb 2, 2007.

1. OrangeGrad

OrangeGrad Member

Assistant sports editor. The Press-Gazette seeks a proven sports journalist with supervisory experience. The successful candidate will play a key role in our print and online editions and anxious to bring innovative ideas to our daily sports report. Apply to Executive Editor John Dye.

Is this how they're going to fill Chris Havel's spot?

2. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

who left?

3. PP and K

PP and K New Member

They had 2 guys leave. Havel is one. Jeff Ash, who was the ASE, went to work for their online staff. But there is only 1 job posted. Not sure what's up.

4. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I heard Havel's job, at least for the time being, is going to be absorbed internally. The column will be shared between a few different guys, including Packers beat guy Pete Dougherty.

5. Could someone share more information on the paper ... positives/negatives and such? Thanks.

6. Negative: It's in Green Bay.

7. Norman Stansfield

The sports editor is Mike Vandermause. Good guy to work for.

Gannett paper. Good group of reporters in sports. Living in Green Bay can suck if you're young and single. If you've got a family, it's not so bad. A half-hour from Appleton and an hour and a half from Milwaukee.

Not surprisingly, all Packers, all the time.

From what I hear, the pay isn't bad.

Sorry I'm so vague. Best I can do at this time of night.

8. PP and K

PP and K New Member

I heard that, too.

9. PP and K

PP and K New Member

From what I've heard, Norman is right on about the paper. Vandermause is a good guy and they do a lot with the Packers. As for living there, that sounds about right, too.

10. PP and K

PP and K New Member

Did anyone else notice this? Everyone mentions the Packers but the job description doesn't. What's up with that.

11. Norman Stansfield

I'd think the "Green Bay" part in the posting would have given it away. Not much else going there.

But I could be wrong.

12. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

- UW-Green Bay basketball (horribly underachieving men's team, dominant women's team)
    - Green Bay Gamblers (Junior A hockey)
    - St. Norbert College (DIII football, hockey)
    - Green Bay Blizzard (af2)
    - Green Bay Bullfrogs, a new Northwoods League baseball team ... woodbat league for college players
    - Some strong prep programs in the area too (Notre Dame, Preble, Ashwaubenon, Bay Port) ... area finally got WIAA hockey this year.

Pretty much it.

Draft saved Draft deleted