1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who's your favorite obscure band, musical artist?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wedgewood, Feb 1, 2007.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I've been to see Kara Suzanne and the Gojo hearts a couple of times in smaller venues around town. Very talented singer.

http://www.karasuzanne.com/

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

The Darling Buds. A couple fantastic albums from the early 90s.

Oh, and also 4 Jacks and a Jill....

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Aren't they playing a Ramada Inn in Kansas City?

4. A lot of my favorites seem to be getting un-obscure in recent years, which is a bit of a dilemma.
    Some I enjoy who are still under-the-radar (as near as I can tell):
    You Am I
    Radio Birdman
    Sun Kil Moon (Mark Kozelek)
    Midlake
    I Love You But I've Chosen Darkness
    The Broken West
    Catfish Haven
    Ladyhawk
    Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin
    The Black Angels

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

One of the best shows I ever saw with Toxic Reasons, Zero Boys and Angry Red Planet at the Howard Johnson's East in Indianapolis in 1988. You wonder who or how three punk bands got booked in a hotel conference room, but then again, the biggest danger to guests from this show is whether the bands might have spooked their hookers.

The marquee outside also was the best I ever saw:

TOXIC REASONS
    ZERO BOYS
    FISH BUFFET $5.95

I was so disappointed when Fish Buffet $5.95 didn't take the stage that night.

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

For you AC/DC fans, Mark Kozelek put out an album a couple of years ago that was him doing acoustic versions of AC/DC songs. It sounds like a joke, but it's great, and you realize how good that band was at songwriting.

7. He did the same last year with Modest Mouse. I thought it was just OK.
    The SKM record is just amazing, though. I've had it for a couple years and still am blown away by it.

8. Jim Tom Pinch

Jim Tom Pinch Active Member

For you Elliott Smith fans, Ben Folds' "Too Late" on Songs for Silverman is a tribute to him.

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Stuck Insider

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Neil Sedaka

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

So is "The Believer" by Rhett Miller. ("Too Late" is better, but they're both pretty good.)

12. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

I had no clue that Kristian Bush was half of Sugarland. I'll have to add 'em to my interlibrary loan list immediately! I'm amazed that <i>anyone</i> has heard of Billy Pilgrim, but then again, I don't exactly live in the band's target market. ;)

I didn't even think of The Connells. I've got the "Boylan Heights" CD. It's so odd for me to think of anything in my (mostly mainstream and classic rock) collection as obscure.

Now that you've got me spinnin' my CD racks...
    The Hatters (who I always thought of as a local frat-party band until I saw a CD in a secondhand store)
    Lucio Maramba
    Michael McDermott
    Julian Coryell (who I think I met once... which is why I own the CD)

Do Dar Williams or Vonda Shepard still count as obscure because they're folky?

Draft saved Draft deleted