1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Canadian slang

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Football_Bat, Feb 1, 2007.

1. cfinder

cfinder Member

love Nanaimo bars -- eat them in honour of native B.C. boy Doug Bodger.
    but south o' the border, they dumb them down to brownies, or somesuch, and the butter tarts are pecan pies; c'mon, we're not THAT stupid.
    when Sid the Kid was drafted, one of his first questions to the Pittsburgh media was a great moment in NHL draft history: "You have Tim Horton's in Pittsburgh, right?" (nope, Dick all.) when he arrived in tahn, he had to teach people what Timbits hockey was, too.

alas, this all is making me hungry enough to drive the 66km to the nearest Tims...

2. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I think more than one SportsJournalists.commer left TO with a serious Tim Horton's addiction last summer. :D

3. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Also
    Chesterfield - couch
    Hockey sweater - no such thing as a hockey jersey
    Pilsner – more than just a style of beer to the people of Saskatchewan
    A rouge – one point for a missed field goal or kick that goes through the endzone. Also it means red.
    And in Alberta there's more water than SoSueMe would have you believe, just no giant bodies of water like the great lakes, and Cabin is just as well used as lake out here.

4. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

In the Adirondacks in upstate New York, people also have a "camp".
    In our neck of the woods (Montreal), we go to the "country".
    In French, it's going to the "chalet."

And around here, the "Canadian ballet" is merely the "ballet" or the "opera". Just like "ice hockey" is just "hockey" for the sake of redundancy :D

As far as HP sauce goes, it's frowned upon by epicureans in any country. No particular Canadian disdain. Kind of like ketchup. But ketchup goes unbelievably well with "tourtiere", which can be made with beef, or veal, or both.

Another one here, created by language, is that shepherd's pie is called "paté chinois", even by anglos. The two are used interchangeably, although I believe there technically is a difference. Probably the beef=veal thing. Or even lamb.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I love HP :(

6. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Whatever happened to Clubber Slang?

I miss his "Your Mom" jokes.

7. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I love you too, Hu...

Oops. My bad.

:D

8. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Just curious ... in the United States, it's become popular to blacks African-Americans. Do they call Canadians who are black "black" or is there some sort of similar hyphenated name such as "African-Canadian"?

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

I honestly don't know. Probably African-American-Canadian or something even more unwieldy and stupid. ::)

10. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

66 KMs to the NEAREST Tims?! Where in the HELL do you live!?

Honestly, depending on my route to work, I pass three - or two. And there is another just one block from my office.

11. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I've heard Afri-Canadian used.

12. Turfburger

Turfburger Member

Once umped a baseball game and overheard a Canadian coach refer to a nut cup as a "trapper"

Draft saved Draft deleted