1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Managing Sports Editor-Naples Daily News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by bevo, Jun 3, 2014.

1. PBOWKER

PBOWKER Member

Having seen the above posts and noting that 48 hours is a pretty quick time to toss a candidate out, I sent my long resume through the system, and 48 hours later I received the same computer-generated response that our sj colleagues received. No name was attached on the email I receive because I don't believe a person is actually looking at these resumes. These are computer-generated responses that spit out the same thing to every candidate that does not meet the parameters set up in a computer program by HR, most likely. In my case, it's either age and/or location. If they want a candidate with a Florida or Georgia zip code (to save money in a relocation), then you'll be rejected in those 48 hours.

Don't know for sure. I'm just theorizing here.

In the online application process, there is no place to put a cover letter or attach clips. In fact, attachments of any kind are not accepted. Only a resume, plus address and email.

My advice to Rockbottom and others: If you really want to chase after this job, contact the executive editor directly and let him/her know of your interest. When they say go to the Scripps career job board, tell them you have already done that.

When I was at Gannett and we were making hires, sometimes we would OK the HR department to cut down the applications based on a specific set of requirements. When you're working 14-hour days, it's better to get a packet of 10 really strong resumes to look over than the original 100. I always wondered who was slipping through the cracks, though....

This is certainly one of those cases. If Naples only wants Florida or regional candidates, maybe they should state that in the ad. If it's true, of course.

2. DuckSoup

DuckSoup New Member

This explains a lot about the silence regarding the position ... Scripps is getting out of the newspaper game:

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/ew-scripps-co-ssp-shedding-newspaper-assets-to-form-new-company-with-journal

3. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Anything ever come of this?

rb

4. rascalface

rascalface Member

Not yet.

Draft saved Draft deleted