1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor- Ionia, MI

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, May 15, 2014.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

From jjobs.com
    http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1497417

Company: Ionia Sentinel-Standard
    Position:
    Immediate opening for sports editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $20,000 to $25,000
    Job ID: 1497417

Description:

The Ionia Sentinel-Standard is seeking a sports editor. We are looking for a versatile editor with strong writing, editing, video and photography skills who is also social media savvy. The sports editor is responsible for coverage of all local sports, including our ambitious and often victorious Ionia County high school teams.
    We require:
    • Experience writing sports gamers & features
    • A bachelor’s degree in journalism and/or communications
    • Exceptional writing, photography & video skills
    • Knowledge of AP style
    • Strong organizational and communication skills
    To apply:
    • Send a resume along with a cover letter briefly stating your qualifications, experience and why you are the best candidate for the job
    • Three of your best sports writing samples
    • Also send examples of your video and photo skills, links are fine

Apply to Editor Lori Kilchermann at sports@sentinel-standard.com.

The Ionia Sentinel-Standard is a small daily newspaper located in historic downtown Ionia, Mich. The newspaper is locally managed and owned by GateHouse Media Inc. and offers a benefit package that includes medical, dental, vision, life and a 401k plan.

No phone calls, please.

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I know a bit about this (I knew the previous editor), so PM me if you have any questions...

3. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Let's fight and unionize for $15 an hour. #JournalistsGlobal
    If some high school-educated or GED-holding burger flipper believes he deserves it, then a college-educated journalist definitely does, right?

On a related note, can you imagine how much stuff would cost if $15/hour was the new minimum wage?

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Well, Ron, that's the catch. A dollar is only worth whatever a dollar can buy.

When I was a teenager, I flipped burgers for $3.25 per hour. Of course, gas was 60 cents per gallon and everything else was much cheaper, too. So those few dollars went a lot further.

About a decade ago, I was out of work and turned down a job paying $10 per hour because I would either (1) have to relocate to a more expensive place to live or (2) have a hellacious and expensive commute every day. I crunched the numbers and came to the conclusion I couldn't live on that and I'd be better off waiting for something else.

And, yeah, if low skills job start paying that much, how much more will jobs that demand some sort of education and/or experience pay? The whole scale will just go through the roof.

5. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Yep, just don't tell that to the selfish Fast Food Global idiots, who believe they're entitled to something many college-educated professionals don't even get. They look at Seattle and are like, hey this $15/hour thing is working. Sure, in the short term, people have more money, temporary boost to the economy. But the market will catch up, inflation will hit and then $15/hour will no longer be a "living wage." The domino effect will kick in because some Washington state hipsters opened the can of worms. But this isn't the thread for this, sorry to hijack this Ionia job posting.

6. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

Without hijacking the thread too much, this is one of two reasons I'm opposed to raising minimum wage to such a level. I'm making mid-40's now but that's after 10 years and starting on papers paying less than this. The other is that we can't afford for my wife to work if the minimum wage is too high because after taxes we'd lose money after paying for child care.

Draft saved Draft deleted