1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oklahoma Vows Review of Botched Execution

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, May 1, 2014.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I agree with you.

We are perfectly capable of distributing our compassion in multiple directions.

While I understand the daughter is in an emotional place right now, and I sympathize, I'm not sure how she wants this to be covered, or how she wants the news coverage to write after these botched executions. At some point, there is a limit to the amount of suffering that we should be imposing on the condemned, is there not?* That merits exploration in the media and in the court of public opinion.

* Or maybe there's not. The death penalty debate seems to be split into two very distinct camps right now:

(1) Abolitionists who, at the very least, do not think the condemned should suffer a painful death, both as a matter of ethics and under the 8th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

(2) Supporters who, I truly believe, would support death-by-excruciating-torture with no qualms.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter how she feels. It really doesn't.

Justice supplied her with the harshest allowable sentence for the man who killed her mom. That's all she can expect and, frankly, is better than a lot of other victims' families receive.

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I think the reason we should have a death penalty is the same reason we put down animals that kill people, to protect society from them.
    When we put down such an animal, we don't torture it; we do it as humanely as possible.
    The same thing should be true when we put down people who have committed the kind of crimes that warrant the death penalty.

4. Dick Whitman

Hypothetical:

Tomorrow, Congress passes and the President signs into law a statute that says that, from here on out, the death penalty is to be carried out via drawn and quartering.

Percentage of Americans who support the law? What do you think?

5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I imagine it would be pretty high.

6. Instead of executions, make murderers cover youth sports for 20-to-life.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Inject them with heroin. Straight heroin.

They'll be dead before the needle comes out,
    and they might even see a rainbow :) before the crash.

I'm only half-joking here. Heroin does kill swiftly, doesn't it?

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Have to legalize heroin first.

9. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I would have no problem with a torturous death for perpetrators of horrible crimes.

Maybe in those last agonizing moments some of these shitbags will feel some empathy for another human when they are subjected to what they put their victims through.

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

This President? Can't imagine it being higher than 20 percent. Much higher for others.

11. Dick Whitman

Forget the president part.

What percentage of Americans, hypothetically, would support a law that said that all death penalties will now be administered by a six-hour torture machine?

At least a quarter, I bet. Maybe a third.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I'm in, as long as its broadcast, or at least youtube.

Draft saved Draft deleted