1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Irony (and/or snark) ruining stuff

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by printit, Apr 24, 2014.

1. printit

printit Member

http://www.salon.com/2014/04/13/david_foster_wallace_was_right_irony_is_ruining_our_culture/

I thought this was a good read. Irony without purpose leads to, well, what?

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I'm getting sick of the "every fucking thing in the world sucks" attitude.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Honestly, since I stopped reading Slate and Deadspin I rarely see that crap anymore.

4. Starman

Basically, if you go on just about any message board (covering any subject) anywhere in the world, and post positively about anything, you immediately get swamped by a stampede of snarksters torching you as a 'fanboi,' 'dupe,' 'sheep', 'shill', 'sucker,' etc etc etc.

There are Springsteen message boards where as soon as anyone posts, "great concert tonight," a dozen trolls dogpile on them, "oh bullshit fanboi, he was way better in 1978, you must be a shill for his PR firm," etc etc etc.

And it's not just message board trolls, either. A lot of professional 'critics' or columnists do it too.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It only ruins things if you let it ruin things. Who the fuck cares what other people think about the things you like?

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Interesting piece, although I do think there is a burgeoning post-ironic movement.

That aside, I would say that a big part of the cynicism dwells in the now ubiquitous acceptance of any entertainment or any creative endeavor as 'art.'

As former aspiring Romantic lit. professor, I'd say his reference to Shelley is appropriate.
    Not that Shelley is particularly to blame, he certainly believed in craftmanship and artisanship as precursor to art.
    But, more importantly, I argue that modernism and post-modernism are really just subsets of the Romantic movement.
    The popular belief in art today focuses on artistic creation itself rather than the 'art' created.
    That is a very Romantic idea, and that is why I believe that almost all large artistic movements of the past 200 years have really been subsets of the Romantic movement.

The paradox: if 'art' is any creative endeavor, then art ceases to exist.
    There's the source of the cynicism.
    I love John Lennon's music, but if his work holds the same artistic value as Mozart or Bach then we are justifiably cynical.
    If TV shows and pop music are art because they are creative endeavors, then so are bumper stickers, T-shirts, billboards and radio commercials.

The flattening of 'art' has robbed it of validity, and that is part of the cynicism.

7. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

We SportsJournalists.com wrestling smarks are tame in comparison to other boards I've seen when it come to snark.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Ironic

9. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I expect depressives like Drew Magary to say everything sucks.
    But in the online whorebait clickbait world, it pays to be negative rather than positive.

10. Starman

Not everything in the world sucks, although you do. ;)

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'd also say that discussion of positive and negative aspects of something do not constitute a 'this sucks' attitude.

Talking about things that could have been better in an already good piece of work is not a 'this sucks' attitude.

12. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Star Man is on record multiple times as saying something as mutually agreed upon as Katy Perry's mammaries, in fact doth suck.

Draft saved Draft deleted