1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP switch -- state names will now be spelled out

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MileHigh, Apr 23, 2014.

1. TopSpin

TopSpin Member

Hopefully reporters enjoy the trip from Kansas City, Kansas, to Kansas City, Missouri, and then to Columbia, Missouri, before returning to Kansas City, Kansas. When on cruise control, the total traveling time is "over" six hours.

2. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Given the number of people I know (smart, well-educated non-journalists) who don't know the difference between Miss. and Mo., I think this is a good thing for readers.

3. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

And TV listings will need to list all the games that will be on the Entertainment and Sports Programming Network package of channels.

4. doctorx

doctorx Member

I just hope AP continues to place "Florida" after obscure cities like Tampa and Orlando.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Understand a lot of big fights coming to Las Vegas, New Mexico as well.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Embarrassing. Does someone at the AP get paid by the letter?

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Paris, Texas; Paris, Arkansas; Paris, Tennessee; and Paris, Illinois all breathed a collective sigh of relief.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If the AP ever did a story on former pro wrestler Lance Storm, they would say he was from Calgary, Alberta, Canada. And not only would they be accurate, they'd be talking about his former gimmick.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

My guess is that they've slashed/outsourced their editing chores. So they're making it a uniform standard in spite of common sense.

I'll continue doing it the old way, thank you. I've never been slavish to AP style.

10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

As long as they keep identifying the president for me in cutlines ... "President Barack Obama, left, receives a team jersey from Alabama football player Billy Joe Boughtoff" ... I'm good with whatever AP does.

And make sure to note the above example took place at the White House in Washington, District of Columbia.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

As a footnote. I should point out that in my employer's style manual, the one acronym for which the full title doesn't have to be typed out on first reference is, in fact, NASCAR. Have no idea why.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

There are dumb and inconsistent dateline rules.

Tampa and Orlando most certainly should not be taking a state. Neither should Charlotte.

Then there's the fact Portland and Vancouver take datelines to avoid "confusion" with Portland, Maine, and Vancouver, Wash. Yet Las Vegas doesn't take "Nev." to avoid confusion with Las Vegas, N.M., and Panama City stands alone even though there's Panama City, Fla.

Draft saved Draft deleted