1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP switch -- state names will now be spelled out

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MileHigh, Apr 23, 2014.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Is someone at AP drunk or just trying to justify their existence? Effective May 1, state names in will be spelled out in the body of stories.

But you'll still need to know the abbreviations as it does not affect datelines.

So get ready for fun copy such as: "He was traveling from Nashville, Tennessee, to Austin, Texas, en route to his home in Albuquerque, New Mexico."

http://www.poynter.org/latest-news/mediawire/249142/ap-tells-reporters-spell-out-names-of-states-in-stories/

2. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I may be schooled for stating it, but I've pretty much thrown in the towel and stick to what I originally was taught when it comes to the basics.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Spelling out state names (and acronyms!) is standard editing policy at my electronic publishing and data management employer. It's all aimed at the idea of Web searching for stories, not reading them. Machines need things spelled out.

4. MileHigh

So why are there some exceptions in this memo? Don't spell it out in datelines, but do in copy. Unless the copy is doing a political affiliation of a person, then shorten it.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Anything to take focus off their increasingly shitty writing and shoddy reporting.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

We now spell out state names in datelines, even when they are in our own state. But doing so in the body copy seems kind of pointless.

7. MileHigh

This should also mean no more "The AP" in copy. Always spell out "The Associated Press." Also, no more abbreviating of sports leagues, including the National Football League, the National Basketball Association and of course the National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing.

8. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

It is days like these that I really miss Craig Stanke (SF_Express).

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Much like the name of the sport has to be part of a cutline, ie "San Francisco Giants Matt Cain throws during a baseball game against the Colorado Rockies ..." It's all about web hits.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Same here.

11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

According to the memo on Romenesko:

That's because they're international stories. Is it too much to expect that the domestic readership might be a tad more familiar with the states?

It reminds me of their style change to include the president's first name to be "consistent" with international style, as if any readers anywhere might confuse President Barack Obama with, well, no one in particular.

12. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Just what I needed, another reason to use my stylebook as a jam to keep my office door open.

Draft saved Draft deleted