1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Film in 9/11 Museum Is Called Offensive to Muslims

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Apr 23, 2014.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I hope they resolve this in a manner that is pleasing to everyone.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Double J, there has been a major news development -- Brian Williams has his mind on his money and his money on his mind.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

And a pocket full of rubbers.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

They'd get a lot more sympathy for the "not all Muslims are jihadists" argument if they'd simply acknowledge that every single one of the 9/11 hijackers was in fact a Muslim jihadist, and they were trained and funded by a huge network of Muslim jihadists.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

or if they disavowed the Koran or demanded a rewrite.

US Embassies around the world better be on red alert. The last time
    an anti muslim film came out we lost an ambassador.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

So we're just ignoring the part where the entire interfaith advisory group, which had one imam, objected to the film, yeah?

9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

They're objecting to the use of facts, most of which are not or never have been in dispute.

At issue is whether it is appropriate or inflammatory for the museum to use religious terminology like “Islamist” and “jihad” in conjunction with the Sept. 11 attacks, without also making clear that the vast majority of Muslims are peaceful.

Sorry, but Islamic jihadists were completely, 100 percent responsible for the attacks. I see no reason to pussyfoot around it.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That tangent isn't anywhere near as interesting as the Brian Williams raps.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

Pretty much nothing is that interesting, at least this week.

It truly is fascinating, or spooky, according to Williams, that someone is poring over his every word in order to come up with these gems.

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Well, imagine a film about abortion clinic bombers that referred to them as Christianists intent on waging holy war. Or that a film about Tim McVeigh noted that. It's true, but a lot of Christians would go ape-shit over that over how unfair it was to tar their peaceful religion that way.

Not having seen the film, I can't comment on what's in it. It's telling that non-Muslim religious leaders have some qualms, though. In part, I think that reflects a more sophisticated view of the religion that's developed in America since 9/11. However, I would think there is some way of acknowledging the radical religious roots while making it abundantly clear to the dimmest visitor that it's not the mainstream Muslim view.

Draft saved Draft deleted