1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pat Tillman died a decade ago

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigpern23, Apr 22, 2014.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Haven't gotten through this whole story yet, but thought it was worth posting on the 10th anniversary of Pat Tillman's death.

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/10816260/pat-tillman-enduring-guilt

And, if you haven't yet read Jon Krakauer's "Where Men Win Glory," do yourself a favor and pick it up. It's an amazing account of who Tillman was and what really happened.

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Definitely. Excellent work.

3. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Where Men Win Glory was not a very good book, in my opinion. Krakauer's agenda overpowered the narrative.

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

This story is a live wire.
    I don't see how you could play it completely straight.
    Nobody really knows exactly what the fuck happened.
    It forces some degree of inference.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

What was Krakauer's agenda?

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I'm guessing to make the military look bad, but I think they did that just fine on their own.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I tired of the whole Tillman tributes/sainthood bit after a couple of years. I respect the fact he choose to enlist, like hundreds of thousands of others. Doesn't make him such a hero in my book. But to each their own.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Of course, the government had lots of practice when it came to Tillman. Recall how Jessica Lynch was "rescued?"

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

In my mind, Tillman became a hero when he left the NFL to join the military, not because he died in battle.

Right after he died, I called the PR guy of the NFL team I was covering and asked him to set up an interview with a player on the team who was college teammates with Tillman. He called me the next day and said the player wasn't comfortable with being interviewed and requested that I respect his privacy. I was kind of taken aback.

A few days later, I was on the phone with the player's agent about a different player and we were chatting about Tillman and I said, "Yeah, I wanted to interview him about Tillman, but PR said he didn't want to talk about it."

He called me back later and said, "PR never called him. He said if you want to do this to come to his house tonight."

He gave me great stuff and even called a few of his former teammates and I sat there for an hour with three of them on a conference call telling stories about Pat.

RIP Pat.

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

It's been a few years since I read WMWG, but I'm pretty sure the Lynch incident was broken down extensively in the book. Might have even been at the beginning.

11. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

This sums it up for me.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Nice example of a second day lede.

Draft saved Draft deleted