1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Martinsville, Va.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by SportsGuyBCK, Apr 22, 2014.

1. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Found on JournalismJobs.com ...

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1454023

Description:

Sports editor needed to lead a three-person section at 6-day 17,000 a.m. in Southside Virginia. Successful candidate will plan the 3-8 page section, make assignments, cover games, write features, edit local and AP copy, and do pagination on QuarkXpress. Night and weekend work involved. The Martinsville Bulletin covers the Martinsville Speedway's two Sprint Cup races each year as well as preps, area college teams and other sports, with emphasis on local sports. The ideal candidate will have experience at leading and producing a daily sports section. Send resume and clips to Ginny Wray, Editor, Martinsville Bulletin, P.O. Box 3711, Martinsville, Va. 24115; fax 276-638-7409; email (.txt ) only files to ginnywray@hotmail.com

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

This sounds familiar.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Understatement. :)

I do hear you get to cover a NASCAR race or two.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I thought the rumor was they cut that out (as well as Va. Tech football) and went straight AP except for the high schools.

5. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

This is because the geriatric female editor cares little, and knows less, about sports.

6. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Cursory search on their site shows that they still cover the two NASCAR races in Martinsville. That would just be stupefying if they didn't.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

Memo to Ginny: Can you get this right for once?

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Gets mentioned every time it comes up, but, sending info to a Hotmail address?

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Her AOL e-mail doesn't work, for some reason.

10. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

I'm certain she still checks her CompuServe and Prodigy inboxes. Try those

11. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

and .txt only? No pdf?

12. Zads07

Zads07 Member

I applied for the Sports Reporter job that opened up back in October. Never heard anything back, and finally was informed it was filled more than a month after I applied. If she doesn't get back to you, don't be surprised.

Draft saved Draft deleted