1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

As per numerous sources..

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

The NJ.com story:
    http://www.nj.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/04/boxer_rubin_hurricane_carter_dies.html#incart_m-rpt-1

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Bob Dylan's telling of the story:

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

This hurts way more than logic dictates, considering Dylan released the song the year I was born.

In the year-plus (and counting) I've been going through The Divorce From HellTM there have been many mornings I punched up "Hurricane" on iTunes for my shower music to get ready to face another day and motivate myself to keep my composure while fighting her lies and her legal tactics to keep me from my kids and ruin me financially. Even if I don't feel like a champion when I turn off the water, I'm at least ready to fight.

RIP Hurricane. I never saw a single bout but you've still inspired me to keep fighting. Every day I work to be a son of a bitch who's brave and getting braver.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The anti-Hurricane reading out there is some of the most fascinating stuff on the Internet. Of particular note is the vicious attack on one of his main supporters, a woman that he put in the hospital with one punch. That incident led Dylan, Ali and others to turn away from Carter. I don't think many of those celebrity supporters believe him anymore.

Having read a lot of those anti-Carter pieces as well as the pro-Carter coverage, I'm pretty convinced he did it.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Great song but Carter was a classic example of white liberal guilt gone wild.

7. gators85

gators85 New Member

Here's a long 35 minute interview with from 2011 where he is challenged on a lot of stuff. It's very thought provoking:

http://www.cyinterview.com/2014/04/in-a-gust-the-hurricane-leaves-us-behind-rip-rubin-hurricane-carter-we-look-back-at-our-2011-cyinterview/

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Really? Interesting.

It does sound like the government lined up some questionable witnesses, but I'm not 100% convinced he didn't do it either.

He definitely had a rough background, but does seem to have eventually turned himself around.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

RIP. And for the record, I think he was railroaded.

Draft saved Draft deleted