1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dan Dierdorf coming out of retirement ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

to be radio analyst for Michigan football:

http://www.freep.com/article/20140417/SPORTS06/304170110/dan-dierdorf-michigan-football-radio-img

Jim Brandstatter moves to play-by-play, replacing the retired Frank Beckmann.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

No biggie. DD is still coherent enough he should do fine.

Brandstatter on PBP is gonna be a train wreck, though.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Can you call it coming out of retirement if you don't miss any assignments?

4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

This makes me wonder if Dierdorf got pushed out at CBS.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It's pretty clear he did; going from a national network NFL analyst to an individual college color-man is a huge comedown.

Dierdorf is right on retirement age (64) anyway; for him this is like a semi-phaseout job.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

When you look at the moves by CBS this calendar year, no doubt he did get pushed.

It was the "surprise" winner of the Thursday night package.

It's redoing/revamping the NFL Today with Shannon Sharpe getting pushed to the curb.

I would suspect there will be some big shuffling of the broadcast crews for the upcoming season, with Ian Eagle/Dan Fouts geting pushed into the No. 2 spot and getting some prime games since Nantz/Simms won't work every Sunday.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

That breaks my heart. (Said no one ever.)

8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Fouts will be 63 at the start of next season. It makes no sense to push out Diedorf and replace him with someone only two years younger.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Love Brandy as a friend.... have to agree with Star on this...

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry that Jay Pharroh's hysterical Sharpe imitation will
    no longer be relevant.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm not so sure. He said the travel was getting too tough for him, and having watched him once walk from the booth to the lunch area at Lucas Oil Stadium with his completely shot legs (it made MY legs hurt, and this was five years ago), I believed him 100 percent. Even if he doesn't live in Michigan (doesn't he live in St. Louis?), the travel of a college football schedule is a fraction of an NFL sked.

12. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Yeah, I gulped hard when I read Brandstatter was moving over to Frank's role.

Draft saved Draft deleted