1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Well, we all knew this day would come (Prepare to feel old)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by schiezainc, Apr 15, 2014.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I'm not going to explain much about this post other than to say that I now officially feel old as shit. I can only imagine how the people on this board who are older than me are going to react to this video.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2605138/Is-phone-The-hilarious-reactions-baffled-children-presented-Sony-Walkman-cassette-player.html

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, funny, but while the kids were going on about what a pain in the neck it was to carry the Walkman around, plug in tapes, etc etc, somebody might have said, "well, yeah, but before the day of the Walkman, if you wanted to hear any music besides what was on the radio station, you had to carry one of THESE around....

[​IMG]

... PLUS, a stack of records. :eek: :eek:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I have a T-shirt with this on it:

[​IMG]

And when I wear it, people have absolutely no idea what it is.

4. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Oooohhh, me want!

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

It's pretty cool that vinyl is making a big comeback.

Then I saw how much they want for the vinyl re-issues. Christ.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I got mine through Cafe Press. Google "record spindle t-shirt" and there are a ton of options.

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Not only that ... the new albums still put out on vinyl cost a fortune, too, because they only get 2 or 3 songs on a side now.

Apparently the new vinyl records have fatter grooves that give you a much fuller sound than CD, but also take up more space on the side of an LP. So most of the new CDs released on vinyl are double-albums.

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I was born in 1960. I was so huge into records as a kid that this was probably the best Christmas present I ever got in my first 10 years. I would get an extension cord and take it out to the front porch. I took it with me when my brothers and I slept over at my grandparents' houses. And the little record case of 45s.

Note how the spindle for 45s was offset.

[​IMG]

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Very cool. I worked for a couple of years at a "greatest hits" radio station with a spindle insert as part of the logo.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

I'm not feeling old. I'm feeling better.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The funniest aspect of the walkman is how revolutionary they seemed at the time.

There's a YouTube video of a kid picking up an Etch and Sketch and spending a few minutes trying to use it as a touchscreen. He then screams "Dad, this is broken!" It's pretty funny.

Draft saved Draft deleted