1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter- El Dorado, Kansas

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by BrianM, Apr 15, 2014.

1. BrianM

BrianM Member

From the Kansas Press Association website:

SPORTS REPORTER — The Butler County Times-Gazette is searching for a sports reporter for our El Dorado office. Send a cover letter, résumé and three writing samples to Kent Bush at kbush@butlercountytimesgazette.com.

2. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

You'll probably get to cover some great JUCO football.

3. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Good point. Kansas and Mississippi JUCO football warrant coverage. Of course, I've been laughed at by other members of this site for stating such in the past.

4. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Yeah, but this is Butler, which is one of the top five in the nation year in, year out. Even the Wichita Eagle gives them decent coverage and since the local radio station is all-Christian, a Wichita AM provides the radio coverage. At least inside the market, Butler matters very much.

5. Matt Stephens

I don't really see much of a need for a paper in El Dorado to cover Wichita State as a beat. It's not far from Wichita, but it's also not a drive you'd be wanting to make on a daily basis for practices and such.

6. bmereness

bmereness Member

this escalated quickly...

7. Matt Stephens

Google says it takes 30 without much traffic and I've gone between Wichita and El Dorado enough to know it's more than 15. And it's not a matter of driving for a game once a week, because that's not really beat coverage. Go to practice. If you're going to cover a beat, actually cover the beat. Don't do things half way.

As for asking if I drive 20 minutes to games ... I usually fly. Driving 1,500 miles twice a week would be very exhausting.

8. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Good lord it's not about whether or not it takes 15 or 30 minutes. If you need to cover something, an hour commute shouldn't be a problem. It's about whether or not an El Dorado reporter is really best off spending his or her time, efforts, ink, etc. saddling up to be one of the handful of WSU beat writer when there are apparently more than enough things in El Dorado to cover.

Hey, the Chiefs are pretty big in the fall and KC is right on down 35 from El Dorado, right? Why not be a beat writer for the Chiefs too? Oh, because that's not why anyone picks up the El Dorado newspaper.

And I am from Kansas, I am probably more familiar with Wichita than you and you're being embarrassing.

9. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

As for the job, El Dorado has a Spangles, so that's one plus.

10. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

They also have a Freddie's, which is like a poor man's Steak 'n Shake.

11. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

LMAO!

12. Matt Stephens

But does it have a Dillon's?

Draft saved Draft deleted