1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

going back to school worth it?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by welch10, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Pretty expensive way to make contacts.

Put it this way. Say you spend $50K to get a master's. Maybe you go from a job that pays $28K to $35K. That means you're spending seven of your work years just making up what you already spent on school just to break even. And you also have to take into account how the industry will be like seven years from now, plus the time that you're studying.

So think about if that $50K will be a good investment for your journalism career around 2022-2023.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I suppose having contacts never hurts. But, again, what's the goal? Don't expect a $10k salary bump because the boss is enamored at your Master's degree.

3. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

Wouldn't it be more likely that your first job after getting a master's degree would pay more than $35,000?

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Not unless you're at a big paper or in a job out of the business.

5. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

How much circulation do you need to be considered a big paper?

6. Cigar56

Cigar56 Member

Get the master's degree in something other than journalism.

7. SP7988

SP7988 Member

Now I'm reconsidering that decision to take the GRE and apply for grad school. lol

8. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

I've been nickeling and diming my working on bachelors in a non-journalism field because my career path has only been as an editor and it's quickly becoming apparent that without a writing portfolio, I'll never rise above the copy desk. All the sports editors/assistant editor jobs are going to copy editors who were at one time reporters.

Am I right in that assessment?

9. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

Back on topic, I have a Masters degree and it hasn't earned me diddly. The only way I would recommend to someone in our industry to go get a Masters is if it's immediately after finishing the undergrad and even then only if they have aspirations to possibly teach in the future.

10. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

Again, a Master's degree in journalism will not end up paying for itself. Period. You can offer all of the "buts" you want, it just isn't worth it, if you define worth in monetary terms. I have several friends in other industries who would argue that a Master's degree in virtually any field where it is not required will not end up paying for itself, because companies would rather bring somebody in on the ground floor than pay more for somebody who has a credential.

11. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I do not regret grad school, but in this economy I would go back to school only under 30 or with a backup plan that involves actual employment. The time is just not good for schooling. Fart's era, the 90s, came with its own set of problems, but this was not one of them.

12. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I got out of journalism, got a masters and a job in corporate comms with regular hours and I make 3.5x my last job in journalism. My vote is to do it but get out of journalism. Easily the best decision of my life.

Draft saved Draft deleted