1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Game of Thrones season 4 running thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Apr 6, 2014.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Careful. You wouldn't want to spell it incorrectly.

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I wonder if the producers are speeding up the Bran storyline.

In some ways, this is a lot like Fast Times at Ridgemont High, wait for it, this will make sense. I hope.

It was first a book and not a bad one but not a great one either. It was a very clever idea that was packed with memorable characters. Then it becomes a movie and some of those characters get tossed and it becomes a more streamlined version of the book with some of the more boring or mundane bits removed.

I think the producers know the Bran storyline isn't going anywhere. I haven't read book 5 but my understanding is his sojourn in the wilderness continues apace. and based on the earlier post about the tree, that sounds right.

I also read that the producers were gifted with Martin's overall vision for the how the series works out, so maybe, armed with that, they're slicing off a giant junk of boring and replacing it with some yet unwritten Bran adventures.

That would be very cool.

3. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

Dany's endless occupation and ending of the slave trade is just as boring as Bran's slog toward Where Do Wargs Go? but I realize they're both likely to be pretty important to the endgame, so I can put up with it. Poor Rickon Stark, though. Maybe the most pointless character in the whole Westeros & Beyond universe.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I'm not super up-to-date on the future production plans, but yeah, I've gotten the impression they plan to streamline and even diverge from the books significantly, while working toward the same ending.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The books are not strictly chronological, either.

A Feast for Crows and A Dance With Dragons both pick up right after the third book. They just focus primarily on different characters, with the entire story coming back together later in the fifth book. I just started A Dance With Dragons and the edition I have includes that explanation from Martin.

6. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Amazed that so many people are still debating whether it was the pie or the wine that did the deed. I thought it was pretty clear that it was either the goblet/wine. I keep hearing some podcasters saying it was the pie, because nobody else ate the pie, but if you watch carefully in the background, Tywin and Cersei are both gobbling some pie.

7. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

I'm all about saying it was the wine now and I'm almost convinced it was Sansa.

Her hand went over the goblet, could've easily dropped something in there.

And she had spent a lot of time walking in the King's Wood by herself a lot. All kinds of things are in there that she could've used to poison Joffrey.

8. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

I keep hearing a very detailed, yet solid, theory about whodunit. I'm afraid to post it here, because I'm scared it might potentially be a spoiler. It's got way too much detail and has been repeated on too many podcasts to make me a little leery about it coming from people who have read the books.

If you're a non-book reader and interested in the theory, PM me and we can discuss it.

9. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

I've also seen a few things, and rewatching the episode looking for what I read about, it seems really obvious. It's very subtle, nothing they hold the camera on for 30 seconds, but it is noticeable.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

If you know what to look for, it's reasonably obvious. But if you don't, I don't think you'd ever see it.

11. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Yeah, re-watching now, I think I saw when it happened. Would never have noticed if I wasn't looking for it.

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I think it might've happened then, but I don't think Sansa was the real culprit.

The more I think about it, the more I'm starting to thing Lady Olenna probably had something to do with it.

Draft saved Draft deleted