1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jeff Pearlman closes the door on John Rocker, and his guilt

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Songbird, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Just because it's a fun argument, this has become way more of a big deal than I initially intended it to be.

All I'm saying is that I'm uncomfortable telling a black man not to give his opinion, considering the black man's plight - frequently voiceless, as sanctioned by law - in this nation's history. Certainly I believe that Mizzou and shotglass would be just as quick to tell Ben Afflect to STFU at the Academy Awards, and probably have.

I understand YF's argument that it's paternalistic. And I don't think that anything is appropriate to bring up at any time. Of course I don't. Figuring out what's appropriate and when is more art than science. In this case, I'm completely on board with the guest of honor popping off. Just like Tim Thomas.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Again, a good point. Consider it downtrodden uppity.

3. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Not saying I agree or disagree with Dick, but his "I'm uncomfortable telling a black man not to give his opinion" line reminded me of the beginning of this clip from "Annie Hall":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7L5FKh3EMM

"They're persecuted enough!"

Draft saved Draft deleted