1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jeff Pearlman closes the door on John Rocker, and his guilt

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Songbird, Apr 4, 2014.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You know what? This is crap.

Folks walk around calling people racist, and telling them to shut the fuck up, and pretend there's no "political" context to that.

But, if you call bullshit on that line of thought, people act like you made it "political". It was already "political".

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Again, have at the substance of what he said. Open season.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

One more time:

Disregarding your opinion on Aaron's opinion on racism and when he chooses to articulate it ≠ You're a racist.

4. YankeeFan

You know what's funny? Ok, I'll tell you...

Critics of Israel are very emphatic that they are not antisemitic, they just disagree with Israeli policy. Now, Jew haters hide behind this claim, but if you were to attempt to associate leftist supporters of the Palestinian cause with antisemitism, they will be outraged that you would accuse them of something so vile.

Sure, the people they support want the State of Israel wiped off the map, but they are not antisemitic, and how dare you say so. They might associate with antisemites, support their causes, and give their arguments cover by portraying them as simply an issue with the government of a state, and not with the right of a people to exist, but do not call them antisemitic, do not not attempt to shout them down, and do not attempt to associate them with antisemites.

Hell, Helen Thomas said the Jews should go back to where ever they came from, and folks here rushed to her defense. I was told that she was a great person. A great person!

Certainly JJ didn't rush to his keyboard to demand she shut the fuck up.

She wasn't racist. She just had a legitimate point of view.

But, if you mildly question the timing of Hammerin' Hank's statement, you are giving aide and comfort to racists.

5. YankeeFan

Did anyone do that.

Aaron has first hand experience with racism. It's not a nebulous issue with him. He's seen it up close and personal.

No one I've seen has tried to invalidate Aaron's experience, or his opinion.

All I saw anyone do is to question whether or not in was the wrong time to bring it up. And, for that, they were told to shut the fuck up, and that their statements were the equivalent of telling the old negro to shush up, and go sit in the corner.

6. Dick Whitman

Hank Aaron was, essentially, told to know his place. He was, essentially, called uppity. Sorry, but, like I said, in a nation with a legacy of slavery, Jim Crow, and mass incarceration, that's a fraught take. Is there a nuanced argument about why Aaron should shut the fuck up and dance? Perhaps. But a blanket question about his "timing," since whitey is honoring him - for his brute physical prowess, no less - makes me uncomfortable. Yes, it does.

7. YankeeFan

Who called him uppity? Did Mizzou call him uppity? Did Shottie call him uppity?

How about BDC99? He was "a little uncomfortable with the timing" but also agrees with you and JJ. Was he calling Hank uppity?

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Who the fuck called him "uppity" ? Pull up the quote?

My feeling was why water down a great celebration of a historic
    event with sidebar comments that has nothing to do with said event.

And one more time - Obama is stuck in the mud because he is a
    shitty leader and President not because The Republican party
    are racists. That is where I disagree with Hank.

9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

You don't get to decide when the right time to bring it up is.

It's like the issue with the Redskins nickname. White people who haven't lived the Native American experience, and mostly can't be bothered to learn about it, don't get to decide who should and shouldn't be offended by a nickname for a group they have never and will never be part of.

10. Dick Whitman

And my feeling is that if you have something to say, say it while people are paying attention.

That's how I felt when Tim Thomas snubbed the White House.

It's how Double J felt then, too:

You have to understand, Boom, and I think I've been pretty consistent on this: I think that dog and pony shows, whether it is Hank Aaron being honored or a Presidential inauguration or a kid signing his stupid letter of intent for the local media, are dumber than shit.

Hell, I once got a thread locked because of a fight I started by bitching about funerals.

11. YankeeFan

Dude, I've said repeatedly that Hank has every right to say what he wants, when he wants to.

I have not criticized him at all.

I just am also not willing to declare anyone who does question the "timing" as a racist, or too dumb to realize that they sound racist.

12. YankeeFan

LOL.

JJ called him a chickenshit as he defended him.

Are we allowed to call Hank a chickenshit as we defend him?

And, did either of you find any counterargument to be so invalid that you told those who disagreed with you that they were racist, dumb, and should shut the fuck up!

Draft saved Draft deleted