1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jeff Pearlman closes the door on John Rocker, and his guilt

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Songbird, Apr 4, 2014.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Judged is fine.

Telling people to shut the fuck isn't, and defaulting to calling every criticism of an African-American racist is lazy. It attempts to shut down criticism/debate.

They tried to declare opinion invalid, and unacceptable, not just wrong.

2. YankeeFan

I didn't speak one word of criticism regarding Aaron's statements.

I specifically said this:

I just don't think that anyone who does have a criticism of Aaron, or the timing of his statement, doesn't deserve to be told to shut the fuck up. I also don't think they should be judged as racist, or too dumb to realize that they sound just like a racist.

See, what I hear from JJ and Dick is:

Pipe down Whitey! This old Negro man has lived a tough life, and doesn't deserve any criticism. He's also incapable of defending himself, the poor, pitiful, old Negro.

It's patronizing.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

What I said was that I'm uncomfortable with arguments that question the "timing" of Aaron's statement. I do not have the same problem with arguments that question the substance.

If you live in this nation and sat through a second-grade history class, you should feel at least a twinge of discomfort any time a black man is asked, even politely and even innocently, to pipe down. And I feel that.

4. YankeeFan

People of all stripes get told to pipe down all the time.

If we're going to cringe anytime it's said to an African-American, or worse not say it because someone is African-American, then we're not treating African-Americans like full members of American society.

We're treating them like children, who can't handle criticism.

That's patronizing, and Hank Fucking Aaron deserves better. He deserves to hear people tell him what they think. He's not above it. he's not incapable of telling them they can fuck themselves if they don't like his "timing".

Now, if they say, "sit the fuck down n****r," then they deserve a pop in the mouth, by Hank, or from the person nearest to them.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Following this line of thinking then we should have no problem with Dennis
    Rodman as a proud African American speaking his mind about North Korea.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Aaron was my favorite interview ever during my career. At one point, after I'd called him Mr. Aaron about 20 times, he said, "Call me Henry." and I stammered and said, "I'm sorry, I can't..."

If Jackie Robinson experienced the most racism during his playing career, I'm guessing Aaron would be a relatively close second.

I don't agree with what Aaron said. I think his timing was poor, but I also think given what the guy has been through, he's more than entitled to his opinion.

7. YankeeFan

Why are you trying to put Mr. Aaron in the corner Mizzou? Are you racist, or just dumb?

You should shut the fuck up!

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Blacks, even Hank Aaron, still can't call a spade a spade.

Obama is president indeed but we've only moved half an inch on the racial front.

9. Boom_70

Obama is stuck in the mud because he's a shitty President, not because
    he's is black.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Not quite the point I was going for.

Someone as Godly as Hank Aaron can't speak his mind 40 years later without the hate mush that follows.

11. Boom_70

Regardless of the timing, Hank insulted 50 % of the voting population
    but yet some suggest that because of what he endured no one has the right
    to question him.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

But the thing is, a lot of people questioning the "timing" of his statement are saying, in essence, "sit the fuck down n$&#&#." (As a side note, why can't we use the word here again? Aren't we all adults?)

They're just saying it politely.

I'd like to go back to the Tim Thomas thread and see how many of the same people who question Aaron's "timing" thought Thomas was perfectly in bounds to snub the White House. And it goes the other way, too - I'm sure those lauding Aaron were tsk-tsking Thomas for his timing. Not just here, but IRL.

Draft saved Draft deleted