1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deputy Sports Editor - Indianapolis Star

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Ronnie Ramos, Apr 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ronnie Ramos

Ronnie Ramos New Member

Indianapolis Star – Deputy Sports Editor

The Indianapolis Star is seeking a deputy sports editor to help lead our digital and print sports operations. IndyStar Sports is an innovative leader in providing unique sports content across various platforms. For the past two years, our daily and Sunday print sections have been named as one of the top 10 in the country by APSE. Our online platforms, in the past year, have seen significant audience growth and we have launched several live original programs. We want someone who not only can help direct our award-winning writers and columnists, but drive our efforts to grow mobile, video, desktop and live-viewing audiences. The IndyStar sports team has added staff and resources in the past year; the deputy sports editor will be instrumental in growing and developing this expanded staff.

Responsibilities
    · Lead planning for department and oversee execution of content and audience strategies.
    · Emphasize work in new media work and audience growth.
    · Help team brainstorm creative, innovative approaches to coverage of key sports teams and high-interest topics.
    · Display strong organizational, planning and management skills.
    · Work with Managing Director Digital and Sports to identify and develop talent and inspire the staff.
    · Provide coaching and meaningful feedback to staff.

Qualifications
    • Bachelor's degree, at least three years of management experience, preferably in a digital enterprise.
    • Experience supervising sports coverage in a major sports market.
    • A track record of growing digital traffic and experience in video production oversight.
    • A proven ability to work in a collaborative environment across departments – both in the newsroom and across the company – is essential.

If you are interested, you can contact me for more details at ronnie.ramos@indystar.com.

2. Ronnie Ramos

Ronnie Ramos New Member

Adding the link for folks to apply online. For those who already have contacted me, I have sent you the information to your email.

Here is the link: https://career4.successfactors.com/sfcareer/jobreqcareer?jobId=30402&company=Gannett&username=

My goal is to select about a dozen candidates for phone interviews, hopefully by the end of the month.

3. lely

lely New Member

Is Jim Lefko leaving or is staffing growing?

4. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

I get the impression that Ramos is taking a slot vacated by a co-managing editor (who is going corporate) and that creates a vacancy in sports. Will be interesting to see if new hire is a Gannett product or a past associate of Ronnie.

5. lely

lely New Member

I see. Best of luck to whoever gets this position. Ronnie and everyone at The Star are great people and very talented at what they do.

6. Fran Curci

A dozen? That's a lot of semifinalists .....

7. Fran Curci

Surprised there isn't more discussion for a "big-boy" job.

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I'd put in for this, but I'm not qualified. Just to have a resume in Ronnie's hands would be decent, though.

9. Fran Curci

I guess they didn't get much done by the end of April .........

10. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Can't speak for Ronnie, but I gotta believe Indy 500 and Pacers do take up a lot of May... ;)

11. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Job is unofficially frozen.

12. Ronnie Ramos

Ronnie Ramos New Member

The job is not frozen. Not surprised 1HPGrad is wrong. We had more than 50 applicants. Have identified some good candidates; position will be filled.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.